Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Suspension needs for trails

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Jeff 
#1 ·
Looking to take my new (to me) 2009 Xterra on trails such as the Rubicon. I've never been a mechanical person, but I need to learn so I can build a strong overland vehicle. I figured starting off with bigger tires and a suspension lift makes the most sense. My thoughts so far are a 3" lift in the rear and 2" lift in the front. I expect to put steel or aluminum bumpers with steel recovery points, winch, and other gear in the back with a full size spare. In anticipation of the extra weight; what does everyone recommend as far as suspension and/or tires go? How much lift? Brand? Install recommendations?

Also, if anyone has suggestions into any other gear I might consider, or an order of your perceived importance to each step, I'm all ears. This will be a slow build for me for budgetary reasons lol but i'm determined to get this right and spend a week on the trails with my camera. :)

Thanks folks.

#2 ·
You mention overlanding setup.. Are you considering this build for your photography needs or more so to the overall aspects of trail camping and the "sport" of offroading on some back roads and out of the way places?

Gear would need to be thought out a bit, recovery gear, first aid, personal effects, kitchen-like needs, and any additional gear required; say for your photography gear. Being a minimalist pays off here when you find products that serve multi purposes, weight savings is a key factor and you really begin to see what you can do without...

There are a lot of small things that can/will make a huge impact on multiple levels.

Suspension will be based upon multiple thoughts, payload, clearance needs, on/off road manners, budgets, time frames.. therfore dictating good, better, best brands and options for the picking.

Their are better recovery points than those on bumpers in most cases, even some of the more expensive bumpers I'd rather have a recovery point front and back then rely totally on a shackle mount alone, sometimes a bridal recovery device in a closed system adds to the comfort but.. each their own thoughts I guess.

I could tell some stories few could match but we wont go there...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.