Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't measured yet, to see the exact difference, but my X sits visibly lower on the passenger side than the drivers. It sorta jacks with my OCD. What should I check?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Havent yet, is that where you'd start? Should i risk used leaf springs? I havent found them new yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Sage Mentor/Moderator
12,216 Posts
I haven't measured yet, to see the exact difference, but my X sits visibly lower on the passenger side than the drivers. It sorta jacks with my OCD. What should I check?

I'd measure all 4 corners...at the ends (front/rear) of the sliders or step rails...to the ground.

Do it on as level a spot as you can, and make sure the tires are all the same and with the same PSI.

The front should be ~ 1.5" lower than the rear...and the P/D sides w/in ~ 1/4" of each other with a full tank.

If you have cargo/tools, etc...make a note as to where they are/what they might weigh.

Look at your UCA to bump stop gaps...and slip something between BOTH as a measurement, and see if they are even/how much gap you have. (The UCA come down onto the stops...so, the gap is between the bottom of the UCA and the top of the stop.)

Report back with the PSI and height at all 4 corners, plus your UCA gaps. (Confirm you have 4 matching tires)

>:D

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks TJ, that's exactly what I will do as soon as it freakin stops raining.

Did my research, stock replacement springs are about $370 shipped with new U Bolts and hardware. Don't mind spending it (I can replace them myself pretty easily) but I'm not gonna throw that at it if its not needed. (but I feel like it is) By this weekend I should have my measurements and pressures, and I'll report back, thanks!

·
Registered
2,287 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

passenger front

drivers front

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

passenger rear

drivers rear

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Used same problem.
Your torsion bar on the passenger side IS NOT indexed correctly. Mine was indexed wrong from the factory, discovered that when I installed my 3" rancho lift kit.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
what would cause that to be off? Do they move from stock positioning on their own?

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
what would cause that to be off? Do they move from stock positioning on their own?
I doubt seriously the spline jumped.
Start soaking the torsion bar nuts and cap with wd40 or pb blaster, drive it for a week, spray a little daily.
Jack it up, the entire front end on jack stands. Remove the tension on the torsion bar and disassemble adjustment bolt and cam. Watch what direction it torques.
Next, you need to slide the torsion bar cap off of the splines, mark it with a white out. Once you get it off, slide it back on with it offset by one spline relating to that white mark. Reassemble the cam and bolts, crank tension on it.
You may need to unjack stand it one or two time.

You cannot just tight the cam bolt as it sits and raise it, there without a doubt is no more adjustment left because it is one spine off.

FYI, it is a little of a pain to remove the spline cap but if you have wrenched, you can do it. The tricky part is wiggling it out of the tiny access hole in the frame.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
See the how to on "Re-Indexing" the torsion bars in my signature.

Note: You may not need to do all of that. You may just need to adjust one side up or down, or some combination of that. You can adjust your torsion bars without taking them out and rotating splines. If you run out of adjustment room, then you need to "Re-Index" as described above.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts