Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,
2003 Chevy Malibu with 193,000 on the clock.
Replaced outer TRE and HUBs. I checked my lower ball joints.
I have had some "walking" while turning. All steering components seem solid using a pry bar for testing. Because this vehicle has a MacPherson front suspension setup, I am wondering if struts can cause the tire to walk.
Mine have 193,000 on them ;)I know I know. they handle the curves just fine and have good resistance to compression. So I never thought about.
On a side note- my current tires have 92,000(not a typo) miles on them. I am replacing them before the end of the month. They have uneven wear and would like to resolve the wearing issue before plopping new ones on.

Thanks for helping me to understand suspension design.
Drew

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Coil over MacPherson strut suspensions have never really been known for cornering performance. Those worn out tires are probably half your problem (the tires are probably "rolling on themselves" when you corner) along with the worn out struts (and the springs), which likely changed your camber angle.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The tires are Michelin HydroEdges. They were good for 90,000. Michelin's are thus far the only tires I have ever been able to run to the warrenty period! I do love my Mich's.
Seeing as the car hos those 193,000 miles, I was looking at the General Altimax's. They are a 60k mile tire. I'll save a little money. Hope they ride good! I only need two more years (~28k miles)
I'll replace the tires then the struts. Think I could get by with Strut only as opposed to "Quick Strut"?

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Think I could get by with Strut only as opposed to "Quick Strut"?
I take it you mean with or without the coil spring? The price for the unit with the coil spring is probably double.

I think you could "get by" without replacing them at all and just replacing your tires since you mentioned you only need 2 more years and they seemed ok to you, but I guess that ultimately depends on how much money you want to put into it and how hard you plan on driving it.

Just guessing here, but you could probably find some data and measure your coils to see if they are sagging.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Measure as in with a tape measure, right? Unfortunately, in the past, t not many active forums (if any) that provide data, but when I get home I will googly oogly it.
I suppose I'll replace tires first and if needed the struts. Uggg. Life. Stay tuned...

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Measure as in with a tape measure, right?
If you are going to find anything at all, it will likely be in a factory service manual. I have the factory shop manual for my '65 Mercedes, and it gives me all the test values for the suspension springs: force required to compress to measured length, unloaded height, heights under calibrated loads, spring travel, diameter, etc. all down to the millimeter. That's usually way more work than most people are willing to commit to, so they usually get replaced or ignored.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts