Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Im ordering a 3 inch bilstein suspension lift and a 2 inch body lift kit in order to accomodate my 33x12.5xr15LT tires i just got for my 2000 nissan xterra. The 2 in body lift comes with a radiator drop down kit, and a gas filler extension. But if i put this lift with the 3 inch suspension lift will i need to extend my steering shaft too? The website I'm buying from says the steering shaft extension isn't necesary for just the 2 in body lift but will the suspension lift effect this? Also will I need too extend my brake lines as well with both lift kits?

·
Registered
308 Posts
I did both those lifts on my 2001. You don't need the gas filler extension or extended brake lines unless you are using revolver shackles. Lots of guys don't use the radiator drop bracket but I did and I think you are asking for trouble if you don't. Plastic rad, stressed lines = leaks. You don't need to extend the steering shaft because of a suspension lift, you only need to loosen the bolts it tells you to in the instructions for the body lift and then tighten when you are done. The factory steering shaft has enough adjustment in it to accommodate the body lift.

·
Sage Mentor/Moderator
12,216 Posts
The suspension lift raises the frame up higher from the ground.

The steering sector shaft (The thing that gets extended) can already reach as far as the steering's sector shaft goes, as the position of the steering wheel relative to the steering box, etc, doesn't change in a suspension lift.

When you do a BODY lift, the steering wheel is going up a few inches relative to stuff on the frame, so, the sector shaft is at a slightly different angle.

As the shaft is only dipped to the front a few degrees off of horizontal, one end of it going up a few inches has very little impact on its effective length...and a 2" BL is still within its normal range of motion.

A 3" BL just barely increases that range though, so adding an extension for the 3" but not the 2" BL is standard procedure.

For the SUSPENSION LIFT, the steering box gets further from the drag/center link...so that the steering links are all pulled to the pitman arm side.

THAT means that the pitman arm can be too high, and a dropped version for example, or a raised link on the center bar, etc, can be used to keep the drag/center link horizontal.

So, sector shaft from steering wheel to box is affected by a BODY lift...as the wheel is moving up relative to the box...but a SL is not changing that relationship.

Does that help?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Much appreciated Tj! But so does this mean ill need to modify my pitman arm or center bar? Also my brake lines should be good as well then in terms of needing to extend them?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts