Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, let the flaming begin! Sorry if it's already been mentioned, but I couldn't find anything about this here. (Ya hear that, other noobs? I searched!) LOL... anyway...

I've been researching everything I can find on our superchargers, and I eventually stumbled across a mountain of threads on some other sites about plugging the "silencer holes" on the bottom of Eaton M62 superchargers. Simply search google for "m62 silencer plug". To sum up what I've found, there are holes on the bottom of the supercharger beside the main outlet that are for nothing more than silencing the supercharger to meet OEM standards. These holes can be plugged to make the supercharger louder and possibly give a small increase in boost without any side effects. There are several posts I found that quoted a person that supposedly works at Eaton. The only advice the Eaton employee gives for plugging the holes is to NOT USE JB-WELD.

This "mod" sparked a LOT of controversy on some other sites, and with good reason. Depending on what you use to plug the holes can make you look like a real retard.

Obviously, the number 1 reason people do this is to make the supercharger louder. (That's also the main reason I removed my intake baffles/resonators). I am curious if anyone on here has heard of or tried this. I haven't seen the bottom of my supercharger yet, so I can only assume that our SCs have "silencer holes", too. I'm going to find out Sunday, however (I have a big repair job planned for then). Your thoughts, please.
*puts on fireproof suit*

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Sounds fun. Dont forget to add NoS and remove your exhaust system for maximum fun!

;)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds fun. Dont forget to add NoS and remove your exhaust system for maximum fun!

;)
I find your ideas intriguing and wish to subscribe to your newsletter! :)

Seriously, though... I HATE loud exhaust, but I can't get enough of a loud intake and forced induction of any variety.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Keep us posted on what you find. I'm in agreement with you: loud exhaust, bad but a loud intake, good.

·
Premium Member
8,196 Posts
i dont know about you guys, but i prefer loud brakes over a loud intake or exhaust

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
While changing the knock sensor, I was contemplating putting a new set of bearings in the supercharger and taking that opportunity to further explore plugging the silencer holes. Since I ran into a problem with acquiring the proper gasket to put everything back together, I think I'm seriously going to explore the supercharger while I wait on the gasket to arrive. Tomorrow (or possibly Thursday), I'm going to take the rotors out of the SC for a good cleaning and drop by a guy my brothers know well and ask him some questions about new bearings and possibly plugging those holes. I'll keep y'all posted!

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Ricer, man you crack me up!
Hey, I did as Awdsuperstar said and I put a smaller pulley on my s/c years ago, along with a K&N air intake system. (see my page for pics on installation). Sounds really cool without calling for the cops and my pick up & horsepower increase was just what the doctor ordered.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ricer, man you crack me up!
Hey, I did as Awdsuperstar said and I put a smaller pulley on my s/c years ago, along with a K&N air intake system. (see my page for pics on installation). Sounds really cool without calling for the cops and my pick up & horsepower increase was just what the doctor ordered.
You have the 2.3" pulley, don't you? Have you had any trouble out of the supercharger? I've read a lot of people have trouble with bearings dying really quickly from the 2.3", but that's the one I'd like to get very badly! I probably need new bearings anyway, since my X has 145,000 on it.

·
Premium Member
11,798 Posts
You have the 2.3" pulley, don't you? Have you had any trouble out of the supercharger? I've read a lot of people have trouble with bearings dying really quickly from the 2.3", but that's the one I'd like to get very badly! I probably need new bearings anyway, since my X has 145,000 on it.
I've emailed Eaton's tech department in reference to the M62. I'm trying to get detailed info as to the do's and don'ts of what can be done with the supercharger.

My question is why did you disassemble your supercharger? They are supposed to be non-serviceable units good for 200K+ miles. They do not require oiling or bearing replacement unless there is a failure of it. I'm not harrassing you over why, I'm just trying to get info from Eaton to finally answer a lot of the questions we get about the smaller pulleys, etc. and I would hate to see you have issues with your supercharger if it can be avoided.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My question is why did you disassemble your supercharger? They are supposed to be non-serviceable units good for 200K+ miles. They do not require oiling or bearing replacement unless there is a failure of it. I'm not harrassing you over why, I'm just trying to get info from Eaton to finally answer a lot of the questions we get about the smaller pulleys, etc. and I would hate to see you have issues with your supercharger if it can be avoided.
I'm basically on the preventative maintenance train set to "full speed ahead". I had to go in for a knock sensor replacement and am planning to do a pulley swap in the near future. I have read a couple of posts about people having to replace the bearings on fairly low mileage xterras after putting the 2.3" pulley on, so to save me from having to replace the bearings later, I figured I might as well do it now. I also greatly enjoy taking things apart. I was unaware that they were supposed to be good for over 200,00 miles. Had I known that, I might have hesitated to crack her open.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
I've had my 2.3" pulley on for four years, about 35K to 40K miles so far. No problems at all. You can go with an even smaller pulley but then you have to look into oil cooling mods 'cause of the engine running that much hotter. It isn't hard to put on and there is no disassembly of the supercharger. Take a look at the detailed install pics I put my page. I love it.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've had my 2.3" pulley on for four years, about 35K to 40K miles so far. No problems at all. You can go with an even smaller pulley but then you have to look into oil cooling mods 'cause of the engine running that much hotter. It isn't hard to put on and there is no disassembly of the supercharger. Take a look at the detailed install pics I put my page. I love it.
Awesome! That makes me feel a lot better about changing the pulley. I saw your pics... very nice!

I think I'll wait on putting the new bearings in for now. I already ordered them, so I'll just keep them on hand for when I get ready or need to change them. I'm going to go with my brother tomorrow to a professional machine shop to see about plugging the silencer holes professionally. The guy I'm going to see joined a pair of 4 cylinder engines and custom-made a crankshaft for them and made it run, so I trust his opinion on things of the metallic variety! I'll keep y'all posted on the results. (I'll be sure to get plenty of pictures if possible)

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm still hesitant on the 2.3" pulley but I was still considering a slightly larger pulley that would still be a substantial improvement.

If you don't mind sharing I'd like to hear what kind of quote that shop gives to plug the holes. The only way I'd get it done is by using a professional welder and making sure those holes stay plugged.

·
Premium Member
11,798 Posts
My only issue I would think with plugging the holes would be the amount of heat generated by the supe. The engines already run about 30 to 40 degrees hotter than norm. That's the only concern I have about you guys attempting this. Not saying it won't work but I would really be cautious. The intake manifold and supercharger are packed in so tightly that there is very little heat disappation (sp?) which can rob you of performance too.

And I'm still waiting to hear back from Eaton.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I took it by the shop today. (well... technically yesterday for the eastern coast, but you get the point) Anyway, he said that he'd probably charge between 60 and 80 bucks to do it. That's a bit more than I was expecting, but worth it, in my opinion, if it's done right. I stated my concern about the casing being distorted due to heat and he agreed that it would be a concern, but he felt confident that it would be OK. He stays pretty busy, but hopefully he'll have it ready in the next couple of days. That should give me plenty of time to get my passenger's side exhaust manifold changed.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
OK, I FINALLY got everything back together. The guy @ the shop charged 60 bucks and did a pretty good job of welding the holes up. Isn't the prettiest thing in the world, but it'll be there forever! He said that he didn't try to make it pretty because pretty = slow and slow welding = more heat = warpage. Anyway... I've got some pics:

Before
100_0561_c.jpg 100_0563_c.jpg

After
100_0572_c.jpg 100_0573_c.jpg 100_0574_c.jpg

The sounds doesn't seem THAT much louder, although it is definitely louder than before. I regreased the bearings in the back of the housing, but judging by the scarring inside, I think they may be on the way out. I plan to replace them before long anyway.

I'll drive it a while and report back if it blows up or anything of the sort.

On a side note... where the hell is the EGR valve on these things?! I had the entire top of the engine off and never once saw anything that resembled an EGR valve!

EDIT:
Update...
I got to drive my X some more, this time with a trailer hooked up. ZOMG! This thing is FrEaKiN' loud. For a good comparison, think of how quiet your x was with the factory intake setup. OK, now remove all the baffles and assorted garbage from the intake and roll your windows down. It's that much of a difference on top of having my baffles removed and the windows up! When the engine really has to work, it is so loud it's almost scary! I LOVE IT!

As far as performance goes, it's hard for me to gauge any increase since I did so much other maintenance at the same time (KS, plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor button, heavy cleaning of intake, fixed exhaust leaks, etc.)

Drake: I am very eager to hear what you receive from Eaton. Please post as soon as they reply to you. I'd greatly appreciate it!

Attachments

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I just got back from town and I took my camera with me to capture the sound of the S/C for you guys... enjoy.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Hey Excellent Pics! I was wondering where those holes were. Is the change in power worth it? And I also listened to your recording. My s/c with the 2.3 Pulley sounds similar and as I shift thru the gears it draws some attention if I'm accelerating hard. I'll try to come up with a sample too.
More info on my pulley: got it thru 4x4 Parts, Automotive Customizers of Pompano Beach, FL, 'Pulley Boys Quickchange 2.3 Pulley Kit' (SKU PP1PBQC23OH) $129.00 in 2005.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts