Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 xterra SE. it’s 4x4 3.3l engine.
I want more horsepower. Suggestions... turbo or supercharge for engine to give it more horsepower.

·
Registered
525 Posts
A better approach would be to have a horsepower goal in mind. A huge restraint is your level of emissions requirements. I’m doing a JDM engine (8.9:1) and a supercharger and expect 220 or so. This number will certainly be lower for me due to my elevation but I may install a smaller pulley to try to offset the ambient air density. Camshafts, head work , and headers could help too. There’s not a lot available for these. turbo setup would cost you thousands and you’d lose OBD2. If you want more than 250 horse, be prepared to dish out a lot of cash. Even 250 could cost you $3000-$5000

·
Registered
35 Posts
What do you want to use it for?
Highway or crawling through deep twisted canyons?
Torque over horsepower.
I'm no expert but it seems these ECMs are not easy to re-map.
Unless you want to do it with an unlimited budget, buy a different vehicle.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Factory supercharger is the easiest option, you can get more boost by going with a smaller pulley. I've got a 2.3 vs factory 2.8. If you are on Facebook, join the First Gen Xterra Den group, there are several people who can give you the list of parts to get from a donor and dyno number before and after the swap.

Sent from my BBE100-5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
525 Posts
You almost need a complete car to take parts from. There’s a lot of things to get. If you’re paying to have this done instead of doing it yourself, you could probably buy a cheap sports car for what it would cost

·
Registered
16 Posts
So far...ECU is not able to be tuned...i have the frontier sc and I added CAI, headers, duel exhaust...sure I got some bump...but with no tune it was more for sound...lol.
I plan on adding a smaller pully...but I want the quick change one...ill start with the factory size so when I put the 2.3 on and don't like it...I can swap is back to the factory size without a bunch of hassle.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Wouldn't this be a recipe for knock? Would replacing the head gasket with a slightly thicker head gasket not be advised?

·
Registered
525 Posts
I operate at 5,000-12,000+ feet elevation. Knock is not an issue here. Most people feed their cars 85 octane which is not available in much of the country

·
Registered
16 Posts
85!?!?!...the SC demands 92+
Super unleaded. I'm not too sure about knock with a smaller pully...of course I plan on getting the hot cam for mine.

·
Registered
35 Posts
85!?!?!...the SC demands 92+
Super unleaded. I'm not too sure about knock with a smaller pully...of course I plan on getting the hot cam for mine.
The ambient air pressure is significantly lower at 5-10k feet than at sea level likely 70 to 50 kpa vs 100 at sea level. Less air to be squished so less likely to knock.

·
Registered
525 Posts
People run 85 in naturally aspirated cars. Boosted vehicles get 87 or 91. Should have been more specific but again these numbers are lower than most places that are closer to sea level

1 - 13 of 13 Posts