Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I could really use some insight on this issue. My daughter drives a 2004 Xterra 3.3L 2WD. The oil light is now on all the time but it is full of oil. Then the tapping on top of the engine started. I told her it sounded like an oil pump and not to drive it. A local mech told me to forget the oil pump and to drop in a new engine because the main bearings and connecting rod bearings were probably damaged. Does this sound reasonable? We are simply frustrated as I do not want the car worked on qat her college town and will probably have to trailer ip back to Dallas from College Station.

Does this damage assessment sound reasonable? Might there be any hope of repairing the engine without it costing a fortune. Really wish I knew a good engine guy locally! Thanks for any ideas.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Why you frustrted with me? what did I do?

and the cost of rebuilding is going to be more then a junk yard motor swap.
if it was driven with 0 oil pressure for any length of time its done damage thats not worth fixing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, not frustrated with you. That was my original post title. I was just looking for any other way out other than a new engine. I want to unload the car but now can't if it needs an engine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts