Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm no mechanic, so help me out a little here. Can I install a super-charged 3.3L engine into my 2004 Xterra, without any major mods, when the original was not super-charged? If so, what kind of power will I be gaining? I installed 305s on my 2004 and it's doggy now. Thank you very much!!

·
Administrator
8,601 Posts
The VG33E, naturally aspirated engine, makes 170 HP at the crank. VG33ER, supercharged engine, puts out 210 at the crank. Should just need an ER engine, ECU, and the engine harness.

is it worth it? Ehhh maybe. You will have to start running premium fuel so fuel cost will increase. Me I’d add headers and cams to the E engine and call it good. That’s what I did to mine works for me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much for the advice. This is my "rest of my life" rig , so I'm going to buy a spare engine/tranny for when these eventually go out. I've got 250,000 miles on this one. Sounds like the VG33E is going to be my spare. I'm not trying to make a hot rod out of it, but I imagine an overhaul of this one would probably produce results I'm looking for. I also know it seems like the price goes up when I need something NOW and I'll be panicing when I need something for the Xterra.I'm going to plan ahead for a change. Thanks again!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The VG33E, naturally aspirated engine, makes 170 HP at the crank. VG33ER, supercharged engine, puts out 210 at the crank. Should just need an ER engine, ECU, and the engine harness.

is it worth it? Ehhh maybe. You will have to start running premium fuel so fuel cost will increase. Me I’d add headers and cams to the E engine and call it good. That’s what I did to mine works for me.
...and by the way. I did install a less restrictive exhaust and a cold air intake(and of course, the chip). It sounds better, but it sucks gas like a vampire. I will rebuild the new engine to max out the torque and improve the hp. I'm gradually entering the rock/hill climbing world, so torque sounds more important than HP. thanks again for the advice

·
Administrator
8,601 Posts
...and by the way. I did install a less restrictive exhaust and a cold air intake(and of course, the chip). It sounds better, but it sucks gas like a vampire. I will rebuild the new engine to max out the torque and improve the hp. I'm gradually entering the rock/hill climbing world, so torque sounds more important than HP. thanks again for the advice
Chip? What chip?

How bad is the fuel mileage?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'll trade you mileage. I got about 8.5 and 9.5mpg on the last two tanks. That's driving under 2K rpm in the city and <65mph on the freeway.

·
Administrator
8,601 Posts
You both need to take a long hard look at the state of tune of your trucks those numbers are not so good, and RM yours are atrocious.

260,000 plus on my 2000 with 3” SL, 2”BL, 33’s, bumpers, sliders, and armor I get 16mpg around town and 18mpg on the highway.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts