Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a local muffler shop install a super 44 on my X.
Sounds completely stock.
I see others saying give it time to break in, but I thought chambered mufflers do not break in?
I have also seen people say they never get louder.
I'm pretty disappointed.
I ordered 2.5 in and out, had the out replaced 2.5 all the way back as advised from other super 44 owners.
My understanding with exhaust resonators is they're before the muffler but I don't see anything between the rear cats and the muffler like a normal vehicle. From my research I see the 2nd gen X does have a resonator before the muffler but the first gen X it's located after, in the tail pipe. I replaced the stock with 2.5 like I said so that should have removed the resonator, but still it sounds stock. I hear removing the intake resonators will make it louder but I would think that would only make the intake sound louder. I'm gonna drop a K&N air filter in and see if it helps but I'm not holding my breath. I hear if you delete the cats on most vehicles it will make the exhaust louder, has anyone done that on a first gen? My local muffler shop told me removing the cats on a xterra will not make it louder by much and not worth it. I have read if you make certain bends in the pipe it would be louder. Should I just buy a glasspack?

Maybe an important note, but I'm getting CEL codes for the rear cats. Maybe because they're clogged up it could prevent a good tone? I'm going to try seafoaming when it's warmer outside to see if that will clear the codes, as suggested by others on the forum. I fear it may unclog it enough to stop the CEL but could still be preventing a good tone?

Much appreciated!!

· Registered
392 Posts
Loud exhausts are retarded anyway. Be glad it's quiet.

· Registered
787 Posts
Loud exhausts are retarded anyway. Be glad it's quiet.
*fart can exhausts are obnoxious

Plenty of ways to make a louder exhaust sound good. Now with our trucks they only have V6 engines SO don't expect V8+ sound quality; try to make it too loud and yes, it will sound bad.

Jacob, I believe your muffler shop was incorrect in saying the cats don't do much. We have 4 of them and they restrict a lot of the sound. However, I'm unsure why your Super44 still sounds stock...I've heard they are decently loud even with the cats and especially with 2.5" piping.

Again, don't expect or try to make it sound like a V8. That won't work. Give the resonator mod a shot, its practically free and definitely added a deeper rumble to my exhaust even before the Magnaflow. And like you said your exhaust system might be a little "gunked" up. Haven't personally tired it yet, but I've heard good things about Seafoam so it might be worth a shot!

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
*fart can exhausts are obnoxious

Plenty of ways to make a louder exhaust sound good. Now with our trucks they only have V6 engines SO don't expect V8+ sound quality; try to make it too loud and yes, it will sound bad.

Jacob, I believe your muffler shop was incorrect in saying the cats don't do much. We have 4 of them and they restrict a lot of the sound. However, I'm unsure why your Super44 still sounds stock...I've heard they are decently loud even with the cats and especially with 2.5" piping.

Again, don't expect or try to make it sound like a V8. That won't work. Give the resonator mod a shot, its practically free and definitely added a deeper rumble to my exhaust even before the Magnaflow. And like you said your exhaust system might be a little "gunked" up. Haven't personally tired it yet, but I've heard good things about Seafoam so it might be worth a shot!
Thanks for reply! I can't seem to locate these rear cats in a diagram, I only see two by the exhaust manifold. Guess I'll find out next Sunday when I get under there and take them out lol. I believe I will still do the intake resonator delete as well!

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the first year 2000 Xterras only have two cats. However thats only 2000 Xterras with federal emmisions.
Interesting! Mine is a 2001 though so not sure why every diagram I see only has two cats. The codes point towards rear cats so I assume it would know if there wasn't front cats lol. Or at least it would address the two cats as front if they were the only two cats there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.