Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Xterra and recently have been doing some needed repairs and replacements on it. I did buy a newer pathfinder for my daily driver so the Xterra can now be my toy. but down side to buying something new the Xterra has been sitting and after a year and a half i finally have the time to work on it. So needed repairs and replacements were done but the AC is now causing trouble. It blows air, not cold due to the compressor clutch not engaging.
The compressor clutch will not engage and the little AC light in side does not come on. When the clutch was directly connected to the battery it engaged, so positive it works. but for whatever reason it does not engage otherwise. The freon levels are where they need to be, so that has been ruled out. Checked all fuses, they are in operating order. Checked all connections and they are all functioning and normal.
So what am i missing?
Can anyone shine some light on this very frustrating situation, Please?
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
78 Posts
So did a automotive air conditioning shop check your refrigerant "levels" and told you they were good? If so, did they not have any ideas on things to check that would cause the compressor clutch to not engage?

·
Registered
03 XE A/T, SC coming soon
660 Posts
Look to see if the A/C light will turn on using different fan speeds. Sometimes a bad blower resistor will cause the A/C to engage on some fan speeds but not others

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Look to see if the A/C light will turn on using different fan speeds. Sometimes a bad blower resistor will cause the A/C to engage on some fan speeds but not others
I did not try that but i will and see if that makes it work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So did a automotive air conditioning shop check your refrigerant "levels" and told you they were good? If so, did they not have any ideas on things to check that would cause the compressor clutch to not engage?
My dad and I work on our own and he has been a mechanic since he was 13. Yes he knows what he is doing. He is more used to working on domestic vehicles and we have both learned that Nissans are a little bit of a different creature.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The light doesn't come on at any fan speed nor does the compressor clutch engage at any speed or defrost. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
03 XE A/T, SC coming soon
660 Posts
Still could be resistor but harder to prove. If I recall, the light will come on even if refrigerant levels are low. IPDM is the one that actually turns the compressor on but the A/C control is the one that turns the light on and makes the request. Could be either here

1 - 7 of 7 Posts