Nissan XTerra Forum banner
21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Xterra Pro-4X
2,308 Posts
You can actually measure the distance by the thunder delay.
As you might know, sound travels at roughly 1000 feet per second.
A mile is exactly 5283 feet.
So if you see a flash and count 5 seconds before hearing the thunder then the bolt was almost a mile away.
With the bang sounding with only a fraction of a second delay meant they were coming down within within 500 feet of my location.
A couple of times I actually felt a sort of static zap in my hands. That meant it was dangerously close. But there was nothing I could do about it and I was still a half-mile from my Xterra, so I kept moving until I reached my vehicle. When I reached my Xterra I had to sit in it for almost an hour until the storm finally dissipated.

On the matter of ground fault interrupters, my house has lightning arrestors built into the breaker box. They're suppose to prevent a lightning surge from getting into the house circuits if a bolt strikes our Well Pump or the main power line that leads to our meter.
Yes, my main electrical entrance has a lightning arrestor installed by the power company but in the end, lightning will do whatever it wants and find a way to do it. The lightning hits the tree and kills you because you are in near contact with its roots. You would be lucky to have all your parts in the end.

·
Registered
Xterra SE 4x4 V6 NA
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Yes, my main electrical entrance has a lightning arrestor installed by the power company but in the end, lightning will do whatever it wants and find a way to do it. The lightning hits the tree and kills you because you are in near contact with its roots. You would be lucky to have all your parts in the end.
We've lost power a few times during the storms, but so far no damage to our house electronics.
However, we do have insurance to cover that if it were to happen.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts