Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
04 Xterra
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve put about 3 to 4 grand into this thing fixing the ac, knock sensor, brakes, other various stuff etc etc and I’ve not been able to pinpoint why it won’t go over 60mph going up a hill. Any one else run into this? Wonder if I need to clean out the injectors?

And after a 2 hour drive the check engine light comes on with these codes. It has something to do with some faulty wiring from what I’ve read. Anyone run into this one? I kind of am starting to think I need to stop sinking money into this thing and just sell it for cheap but I’d be interested to hear if anyone has dealt with these. I’ve not posted in a long time cause this thing is just a drag anymore.

·
Registered
2004 Xterra XE 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
1,027 Posts
It's also possible that one or both cats are clogging up. Classic symptoms.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I’ve put about 3 to 4 grand into this thing fixing the ac, knock sensor, brakes, other various stuff etc etc and I’ve not been able to pinpoint why it won’t go over 60mph going up a hill. Any one else run into this? Wonder if I need to clean out the injectors?

And after a 2 hour drive the check engine light comes on with these codes. It has something to do with some faulty wiring from what I’ve read. Anyone run into this one? I kind of am starting to think I need to stop sinking money into this thing and just sell it for cheap but I’d be interested to hear if anyone has dealt with these. I’ve not posted in a long time cause this thing is just a drag anymore.
Your injectors are controlled by the ECM computer and the ECM makes decisions regarding the pulse timing and fuel delivery to your injectors based on inputs from different sensors on the engine. The P0152 and 158 codes you are receiving are related to the oxygen sensors located in your bank 2 exhaust. Here is the dialog supplied relative to this in the Field Service Manual:
DTC P0132, P0152 HO2S1 PFP:22690 Component Description UBS007XZ The heated oxygen sensor 1 is placed into the exhaust manifold. It detects the amount of oxygen in the exhaust gas compared to the outside air. The heated oxygen sensor 1 has a closed-end tube made of ceramic zirconia. The zirconia generates voltage from approximately 1V in richer conditions to 0V in leaner conditions. The heated oxygen sensor 1 signal is sent to the ECM. The ECM adjusts the injection pulse duration to achieve the ideal air-fuel ratio. The ideal air-fuel ratio occurs near the radical change from 1V to 0V.
Reading down in to the field service manual relative to the P0152 code shows them checking engine grounds that are critical in the proper performance of those sensors. You may want to look at those grounds yourself to try and move this problem with minimal effort. The following is the link to the actual FSM engine control function for the O-sensors.
Factory Service Manuals - NICOclub

·
Registered
04 Xterra
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I cleared them, drove another 150 miles and got another light with some new codes:
P1163
P1143
So yes this seems to be heated oxygen sensors and more of the above. I was able to find a person here locally who is an expert with this gen Xterra/VG33E so I have some time scheduled the end of the month with him. I don’t think it’s something I want to mess with and have apart for days/weeks as I am moving currently, but I will update once I get this sorted and maybe it will help the next person.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts