Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, happy holidays. I have a issue with my steering. the issue happened last winter and now has become an issue since the weather has gotten cold. I have a 4x2 '05, first off, never real rough on the road or anything. but the steering is extremely hard almost like there is no power steering, other times its fine while turning. the fluid level is good, no leaks, the pump is fine, no whining, it doesnt steer better when the rpms are up. I am thinking my issue is the steering gear box... there is no consistancy to when the steering will be smooth or hard. sometimes you even have to pull the wheel back to straight coming off a corner, very dangerious! im just hoping someone can offer some help... thanks in advance, Matt N Cedar Rapids,Ia

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
anyone have any thoughts on this... i was trying to avoid the 80 dollar tip to the service center to have this looked at:-( ! please give me your thoughts. thanks Matt

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
It sounds like the power steering pump went to hell!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know that's the case. It steers fine in summer. All summer. 50% of the time it is fine. That doesn't give me that impression. Other thoughts.

·
Registered
469 Posts
x2 on the fluid change. It's pretty cheap to change out the fluid and see if that helps. I'm running Amsoil synthetic ATF in my power steering unit.

You may also want to put the front of the vehicle up on jack stands (at the frame), and cycle the steering. Have someone turn the steering wheel all the way left and then all the way right while you look for any problems in the steering linkage.

BTW, 2nd Gens don't have a steering gear box, they have a rack and pinion steering assembly. I had to change my rack and pinion out last month due to a leak, but other than a leak, there was no other issues.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah... the power steering comes and goes as it pleases. I can still muscle thru the turns if it gets tough, but ill try fluid change first... BTW any suggestions on a method of flushing or is there a line to loosen up to get the fluid out?

·
Registered
560 Posts
was your 05 made in 04?

NISSAN IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2002-2004 FRONTIER VEHICLES MANUFACTURED FROM JULY 9, 2001 THROUGH OCTOBER 20, 2004, AND MODEL YEAR 2002-2004, XTERRA VEHICLES MANUFACTURED FROM JULY 9, 2001, THROUGH JANUARY 6, 2005. OVER TIME CORROSION MAY FORM IN THE LOWER STEERING COLUMN JOINT AND LIMIT MOVEMENT OF THE JOINT. THE LIMITED MOVEMENT OF THIS JOINT MAY CREATE EXCESSIVE LOAD ON THE LOWER STEERING COLUMN SHAFT. IF THE VEHICLE CONTINUES TO BE DRIVEN IN THIS CONDITION, IT MAY LEAD TO CRACKING OF THE SHAFT DURING LOW SPEED MANEUVERS THAT REQUIRE LARGE STEERING INPUTS.

Consequence:
THE SHAFT MAY BREAK WHICH COULD RESULT IN LOSS OF STEERING CONTROL DURING THESE LOW SPEED MANEUVERS INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.

Remedy:
THE STEERING COLUMN SHAFT AND JOINT WILL BE REPLACED WITH A SHAFT OF A DIFFERENT DESIGN. THIS SERVICE WILL BE PERFORMED FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL BEGAN ON DECEMBER 13, 2010. OWNERS MAY CONTACT NISSAN AT 1-800-647-7261.

Notes:
NISSAN SAFETY RECAL NO. R1037. OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/p...ERRA&veh_model_year=2003&searchtype=DrillDown

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ugh

Yeah, Ty for the post. I called Nissan. Guess what, no recall. But, that is the same issue I'm having. So I would say I'm stuck. However, I did stick some grease into a meat objectors and poked a small hole into the rubber boot and oozed some in there, that solved the issue, no more binding in the steering. Thanks for the info all that responded.

·
Sage Mentor/Moderator
12,216 Posts
Yeah, Ty for the post. I called Nissan. Guess what, no recall. But, that is the same issue I'm having. So I would say I'm stuck. However, I did stick some grease into a meat objectors and poked a small hole into the rubber boot and oozed some in there, that solved the issue, no more binding in the steering. Thanks for the info all that responded.
:aufgeregt-big:
I'm afraid to find out what that means.
:weird4-big:

·
Registered
1 Posts
ugh

Where all did you stick grease at

1 - 14 of 14 Posts