Nissan XTerra Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Good idea. I'm good at losing things, so I've misplaced my manual...but I'll find it sooner or later. Meanwhile, I'm about 90% sure I'll be purchasing a replacement distributor and rebuilding this old one over time, save it for a rainy day. Can't thank you folks enough!
good mechanics manual to get is the haynes series. I got one off of amazon for 2000-2005 Nissan xterra/frontier/panthfinder. You get internal to external layouts and explanations. Wiring diagrams, bolts and latches. Good book to keep under your seat for when you need it
can find some used for less than $10, but can save you $100 for DIY repairs instead of having a mechanic diagnose you

·
Registered
2015 Xterra Pro-4X
1,812 Posts
Good idea. I'm good at losing things, so I've misplaced my manual...but I'll find it sooner or later. Meanwhile, I'm about 90% sure I'll be purchasing a replacement distributor and rebuilding this old one over time, save it for a rainy day. Can't thank you folks enough!
I wasn't referring to your owners manual but the online access to the actual field service manual that is available from the top section of the repair section of this website.
Nissan Service Manuals - NICOclub

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Folks we can officially call this one SOLVED. The bearing at the base of the distributor was the entirety of the problem! Had a little struggle getting it timed afterwards, as I got confused whether the five marks meant 0-20 degrees or -10 through +10 degrees, but a buddy with a professional grade scanner showed up and it was reading exactly on the nose where it needed to be.

Can't thank yall enough for the assistance. I'd still be fumbling around with the wrong parts without yall's help! :)

·
Registered
2015 Xterra Pro-4X
1,812 Posts
Folks we can officially call this one SOLVED. The bearing at the base of the distributor was the entirety of the problem! Had a little struggle getting it timed afterwards, as I got confused whether the five marks meant 0-20 degrees or -10 through +10 degrees, but a buddy with a professional grade scanner showed up and it was reading exactly on the nose where it needed to be.

Can't thank yall enough for the assistance. I'd still be fumbling around with the wrong parts without yall's help! :)
Well done. Thanks for the follow up and resulting closure. So many just leave it hang.

·
Registered
2009 4WD A/T w/X trim
25 Posts
Does the Xterra in that year have an electronic ignition module on the side of the distributor, or nearby to it? When those start to go, they will often work for a minute or two and then crap out when they get warm. You will get zero spark when they do. If you are going to change out the distributor, make sure if that 3.3 has an ignition module...and replace that too. Or get a distributor that has a new one already attached.

CAVEAT: I don't know if a Gen 1 has the module on the distributor, or nearby to it...or if it uses one at all.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Does the Xterra in that year have an electronic ignition module on the side of the distributor, or nearby to it? When those start to go, they will often work for a minute or two and then crap out when they get warm. You will get zero spark when they do. If you are going to change out the distributor, make sure if that 3.3 has an ignition module...and replace that too. Or get a distributor that has a new one already attached.

CAVEAT: I don't know if a Gen 1 has the module on the distributor, or nearby to it...or if it uses one at all.
I don't remember seeing any kind of ignition module on the side or near to the distributor. Replacing it was almost a breeze, but if/when it ever repeats this kind of behavior I'll make sure to keep an ignition module in mind while diagnosing. Thanks for the tip! :)

21 - 28 of 28 Posts