Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Xterra XE V6 3.3 5 Speed
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Hive Mind,

TLDR: 04 V6 Xterra: Starts but won't run with fuel pump fuse pulled. Will not start at all with fuse pump fuse in.

Back with the same but different problem I'll also add a note that I think it's weird and I can't make sense of it.

My 04 V6 has stopped running, right after it gave me a p0505 code. I cleared it. It ran, but has stopped and hasn't given me that code again. It hasn't given me that code anymore. Instead, it gave me the p0340 since it had given me that before I went ahead and got a new distributor. Sadly, that didn't fix me up. I also replaced the fuel filter because of how it was running before. To explain it was like a really expensive go-kart, really really rich. It smelled like you had been on a go-kart for hours after about 10mins of it running.

This is where I think it gets weird. While trying to start it I smelled just a whole lot of fuel. So I decided to pull the fuel pump fuse. Did that and the X started...Of course it didn't run, but it starts idles for about 2 seconds at 2000rpm and dies. So I say awesome! Put the fuse back and it doesn't start. Here is my confusion. I play the fuse game for about 20mins and to no avail still not running AND no codes.

So I ask where do I go from here? I will add that in order for it start with no fuse I have to turn the key for 5 to 10 seconds before it starts. Also, if I hold the pedal down with the fuse in it eventually kinda starts but never makes it to idling. I don't want to just start throwing parts at it if I can avoid it so let me know what you think.

·
Registered
2001 Xterra 4WD Auto 3.3L V6
362 Posts
You may have a leaking injector. It sounds like it's flooded when the pump is running, but able to start after letting some of the excess fuel vaporize and then dying due to no more fuel being added.

I'm new enough to this Nissan stuff, so it may be a common fault. But regardless of that, if you have never run Chevron Techron or any other cleaner with PEA in it, then it absolutely won't hurt to do so. You may also be able to find a DIY injector cleaner kit that lets you unplug the pump and attach the can directly to the fuel rail (via the pressure valve) and run the whole can to clean the injectors and valves directly rather than diluting it in the gas tank.

I doubt anyone will say that that is a bad idea, but some may question whether it's any good.

·
Registered
03 XE A/T, SC coming soon
839 Posts
I doubt anyone will say that that is a bad idea, but some may question whether it's any good.
I would never recommend adding anything until fuel quality has been verified. Too many cars have E85, diesel, or water contamination and not know it.

Injectors with failed coils are much more common than leaking injectors on this model. There could be an issue with wiring causing injector(s) to stay open. On other models in the same ECM family, I’ve seen injector drivers fail causing injectors to stay open. I’d also check that fuel pressure regulator for leakage. In my experience, I only saw one maxima injector stuck open due to debris and it was leaking enough fuel to hydro lock the engine

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
@MeToo I figured the motor was being flooded, but I've never experienced a fuel-injected motor flooding. It makes sense as to why it's possible I have just never seen it before now.

@Blackberry This definitely seems like a good place to start. Do you know of any way for me to test for this? Or is there at least something I can scour for in the FSM?

Thank you guys so much for the help. I'm really close to having this running properly and this was a very worrisome setback.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I messed up the thread somehow and now it has to be approved? @MeToo, @Blackberry

Anyway, I did a continuity check on the injectors and they are all around 11.7 and the FSM says that's fine. I also did a voltage check, and either that's my issue or I didn't do it right because it says I'm supposed to get battery voltage, but I was getting waaaaaaay more than battery voltage. If the injector driver were still open it should give me an OL on my multimeter right?

·
Registered
2001 Xterra 4WD Auto 3.3L V6
362 Posts
OL on a multimeter usually occurs when reading Ohms. If it happens when you're reading Volts then you may have selected a range that is too low, or you may need to set it to Auto-Range, if it has that option.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OL on a multimeter usually occurs when reading Ohms. If it happens when you're reading Volts then you may have selected a range that is too low, or you may need to set it to Auto-Range, if it has that option.
I was using Ohms to check for continuity. That's what the FSM said to do.

I did check for volts the way I thought the FSM was saying to do and the reading just going up and up and up. I'm going to check the fuel pressure regulator tomorrow and see how that's doing.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Noid light verifies power supply and injector driver at once. If you removed the plenum you could lift the fuel rail and check for drips. Fuel pressure regulator is checked by removing the vacuum hose and checking for the fuel.

I’d also consider revisiting your distributor timing

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got a noid light. I'll be checking things out tomorrow. I'll let you guys know how it goes. I'm going to revisit the timing as well.

Also, @Blackberry are you telling me there's a way to check the fuel injectors without taking off the plenum?!

·
Registered
839 Posts
There’s a couple things you can do if the plenum is still in place. All of the injectors resistance can be measured at the harness. If you have access to a fuel pressure gauge then you can hook that up and put clamps on the fuel lines while pressurized and look for drop to indicate a leaking injector. You’d want to pull the vacuum hose off of the regulator as well to check for fuel leakage there. Your concern sounds like flooding from here. You could probably use t pins and test leads connected to the noid light to check injector pulse on all injectors without removing the plenum. If your car is indeed flooding and that’s why it won’t start then there’s only two ways for fuel to get in. The injectors and the regulator. This flooding theory could be verified if you pull the fuse and use starting fluid to fire it up and keep it running for more than a few moments by spraying little bits while It’s still running.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Also worth noting that a bad injector coil would most likely not flood your engine and that’s what the resistance measurement checks. I would lean more towards an injector wire shorted to ground leaving it open 100%

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So after checking for fuel injector pulse all of the injectors seem to be doing what they're supposed to do. I also tried checking my IAC because I got code P0505 back, and I don't think it's getting any power. This worries me because I hate doing electrical repairs to be completely honest.

Would the IAC keep it from starting? Also, would it have anything to do with the amount of fuel I'm smelling? I still have to check the fuel pressure regulator, but this is my most recent development.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's kinda what I figured, but it could definitely keep me from starting?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay, so after checking the fuel pressure regulator. I think it's okay. If it was bad it would leak after I take the vacuum hose off right? If that's what signifies it as being bad it isn't. I should probably actually vacuum test it but really don't feel like buying the tools.

After putting it back together and trying to start I still have the same issues except I don't have as much of a fuel smell as I did before, so I'm thinking that maybe a plus? I'm pretty much at a loss other than knowing that my IAC is getting no power. It does seem to work because I ran some power to it and heard it click, but the harness connector is dead -_- so I'll have to figure that out at some point.

What do you think?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey guys,

Just wanted to give you a quick update on my situation. Turned out it jumped time and bent some valves -_- I got a head from a frontier in a junkyard cleaned it up a bit and now we're rolling!

Thank you guys for the help!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts