Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was able to come by a Xterra that was a great deal and knew the history of it since it was my brothers truck that was used more as a soccer mom mobile by my sister-in-law for most of its life. I knew it would be a great starting point to create a fun all around truck to use for off-roading, camping, etc.

The usual what it looked like when I picked it and brought it home.

To show how stock a stock Xterra is.

Pic with the good minor adjustments of the stock step rails removed.

I have done some basic things to it along with some maintence work so far. Changed the transmission, transfer case, along with the front and rear diffs with Royal Purple. Engine has been run on Mobil 1 syn. almost its whole life. So far the resonator delete w/ K/N drop in filter, rear diff breather extension, step rails removed, rear sway bar removed, and total Chaos IAB have been done. Have new axles on their way since the Pass. side out boot tore about 2 months ago. Give me an excuse to swap both of them out and keep the driver side as a spare. Also have Bilstein 5100's for all four corners on their way to get ride of the old and worn stock fronts and cheap rears that were replacements. Also minor stuff done was the timing belt change and everything to go with it, plugs, dist rotor, and dist cap. Still have not gotten around to what plug wires I want. The factory ones are still sending letting the plugs get a decent spark for now.

I have been going through the forms on getting some good ideas for things to do from some great people on here. Have seen quite a few nice rigs on here. Hope to make some good progress and hopefully get to meet up and ride with some of you guys when I can get a chance. Thank you to everyone so far being helpful and having great information on what can be done to make these rigs even more enjoyable.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Nice. What are your future plans with it? Lift/Tires/Lights?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looking at the 2" BL to fit 33's on it. The rest of the suspension is still in the thought stage besides the 5100's that are on their way. Also trying to see what direction I want to go with the steering setup. lights would be a no for now.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bilsteins came in Thurs. Made a huge difference in ride. The front OEMs were toast. I compressed them and they stayed compressed until I helped them to expand. Even then the movement was very slow. The rears still functioned but they did not keep the rear end planted all that well when on rough roads, train tracks, etc.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Finally had some free time to swap out the axles. The PS outer boot has been torn from age for awhile now. The DS outer boot has splits started into it about half way. Good thing I changed it out now. Found it easier to remove the adjuster bolts on the upper control arm since I did not have what I needed to disconnect the UBJ. Gives me a reason to get some new UCA since I can see the UBJs are getting near their end. Make it easier to work in there to afterwards. Easy to do since I marked on the frame where the adjuster washers notches were at. I can see how this can be a pain to swap on the trail.

·
Administrator
8,601 Posts
Finally had some free time to swap out the axles. The PS outer boot has been torn from age for awhile now. The DS outer boot has splits started into it about half way. Good thing I changed it out now. Found it easier to remove the adjuster bolts on the upper control arm since I did not have what I needed to disconnect the UBJ. Gives me a reason to get some new UCA since I can see the UBJs are getting near their end. Make it easier to work in there to afterwards. Easy to do since I marked on the frame where the adjuster washers notches were at. I can see how this can be a pain to swap on the trail.
Do you still have the old axles? Any plans to re-boot them and keep them as spares?

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I tossed the one that had the torn boot for months. it sounded bad when moved around. I kept the other one. Needs the out boot at a min. I would do both though do to the age of the boots. Too much of a pain for me to replace the boots. I would rather just buy another for a spare. Money better spent for me for the hassle. If you want it, you can have it. I'm sure you will help me out one way or another eventually. I can bring it with me for a trail ride when you have your truck running on full steam again.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Have not had much time to do anything lately. Ended up needing a new battery. I ended up getting a Die Hard Platinum. Wanted something I could put in an not worry about if I added more stuff electrical load wise. I also changed out all the front sway bar bushings. I replaced the center 2 with factory ones. Replaced the end links with Energy Suspension bushings. Had to enlarge the holes on the washers to get them to fit on the factory bolts. Rides & handles much better now. The original bushings had over 110k on them.

·
Administrator
8,601 Posts
1 - 20 of 106 Posts