Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Nissan Xterra, 4x4 S/C
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sent off some oil to BlackStone labs, got some rather concerning numbers back, curious what to make of em'

Iron is at 41 where average is 13!?? A lot of stuff is triple what it should be...

Is my engine literally on the way out and about to blow up?? :(

·
Administrator
2000 Xterra XE 4x4 3.3L AT
9,632 Posts
Average of 13 for a VG33 or average of engines they have had samples sent in for? It’s an iron block if the average is for all engines they have done tests for I would expect it to be high.

No mater what I can’t even think of what issue high iron content would be pointing too? I have sent hundreds of those samples in for my old job, AMA Superbike race team, and not a one of them ever showed us issues with an engine. Mainly we were sending them back to the lubricant manufacturer, Valvoline Lucas Motul, and they used the info to improve formulation of the oil.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
In the report write up they say: "This engine is experiencing above-average wear at pistons (aluminum), rings (chrome), steel parts like cylinders (iron) and bearings (lead)." - but it is still vague I guess...

I'm assuming the average is for VG33, seeing as the reports for the 2nd gen X guys I've seen have different averages. Their website says the following:

not sure what 'TYPE' of engine is narrowed down to though...

UPDATE, got a reply from Blackstone:
The engine type these averages are based on are from VG33E engines only. Right now we have 249 engines in that file, and that number is continually growing. We only add samples to the averages that are free of obvious issues or excessive wear. We don't have separate files based on engine mileage. You'd be surprised how similarly a healthy engine with 20,000 miles wears compared to one with 200,000 miles.

·
Administrator
2000 Xterra XE 4x4 3.3L AT
9,632 Posts
I’d pay more attention to compression test, leak down, and what I saw at the bottom of the drain pan than an oil test result from a lab with an unknown sample size and no baseline sample of my engine to go off of for reference. To many variables to determine if those numbers are good or bad and what they indicate.

·
Registered
2004 Xterra XE 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
1,027 Posts
The flashpoint could indicate fuel or other flammables in the oil beyond what is normally seen. If you make lots of short trips, that could explain it. It may be better to change the oil more often than you currently do.

·
Registered
03 XE A/T, SC coming soon
1,226 Posts
The only time I’ve ever used black stone was to provide proof that incorrect lubricants were used and that warranty is not an option.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Reply from Blackstone: "The engine type these averages are based on are from VG33E engines only. Right now we have 249 engines in that file, and that number is continually growing. We only add samples to the averages that are free of obvious issues or excessive wear. We don't have separate files based on engine mileage. You'd be surprised how similarly a healthy engine with 20,000 miles wears compared to one with 200,000 miles."

1 - 7 of 7 Posts