Nissan XTerra Forum banner

splash guard bolts are all stripped

10K views 19 replies 16 participants last post by  puma732 
#1 ·
I have a 2004 SE with 90k miles on it and decided for the first time to change the oil. No problem. Easy enough.

When taking off the splash guard, first off, I noticed there were only 3 of the six bolts still in. Ok. Putting the guard back on, I have found that 2 of the remaining 3 bolts are pretty much stripped.

Any course of action? Rethread? Am I looking for trouble not have the guard on there if I don't go off-road until fixed?

Any thoughts would be great.

#2 · (Edited)
If you mean the factory metal skid-plate, it helps protect your oil filter and other vital organs. If something were to puncture your oil filter and your oil pour out, it may be too late before you see the service engine or oil temp light and your engine would be toast. So, get some new bolts with matching thread and check into getting the holes re-tapped.

#3 ·
i would just rip it out and never worry about it again

#4 ·
are we talking about the metal 'armor' under the oil filter?

uh, id leave that on, you know, bc there is debris int he road, driving behid a dumptruck droping pebbles ont he freeway, etc

there IS the potential for damage to occur there, worst case scenario; a small rock pops up just right and punches a hole in the top of your oil filter, not likely, but it could happen, then bam, no oil pressure, and all your oil os on the freeway rather than your motor

im just sayin

#6 ·
I thought you were talking about the plastic guards, sorry dude!LOL!:aufkopfhauen-big: Yes, if your talking about your factory skid-plate, you want that on there. If the bolts are stripped that sucks and someone was not very mechanically inclined when replacing it in the past, you may have to re-tap the holes because you will have to remove it for every oil change. Get some new bolts with the exact same thread and if the remaining holes are not stripped use some lock-tight on the treads. Good luck

#17 ·
So last weekend on my 04 Xterra (3.3l 4x4) I was replacing muffler, changing oil, cleaning MAF, replacing wiper blades, topping fluids, and so on... but I misplaced all the bolts for the skid plate or guard. I suspect it's buried somewhere in the garage and I spent countless of hours looking for them. Do you know the size of these bolts and/or where I can purchase them?

#7 ·
drill and re-tap.

definately

#11 ·
I say trash that crap

#12 ·
are we talking about that Silver Plastic thing under the center of our bumper?

#14 ·
The factory screws are crap, and rust away in no time.

Get new stainless steel ones a wee bit bigger to bite, and just drive them in, and it will be fine. Or zip tie it.

:D

I agree that its a splash shield though....calling that thin POS a skid plate's a bit pompous.

A pebble will get stopped though (YAY!)

#16 ·
Holy thread revival and use of the search function. Unfortunately I don't have my X anymore and I still don't know what the hell the this is what everyone is taking about

#18 ·
They're metric, so find a few different sizes in your local hardware store, buy them (or get permission to take them outside) and see what fits, then buy a set of the right size.

It might also be good to get a tap or thread chaser to ensure that the new ones won't be going into damaged threads.

Reactions: NEXTinthesky
#19 ·
Hopefully all threads are fine but I did have two bolts missing. At most I would imagine two threads may be bad and I should be ok with only 4 bolts. Advance Auto Parts and NAPA couldn't find the part#s or sizes either. If push comes to shove, I may have to go to the salvage yard during the winter :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.