Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2002 Nissan XTerra SE 3.3L v6
On-demand 4X4.

Water is leaking out of the engine between the engine and the transmission.
They need to pull the transmission to see if it is cracked or just popped freeze plugs.

The mechanic says that he needs to drop the cross member to remove transmission.
But the torsion rods go through the cross member so they have to be removed as well.
But he needs a special tool (had the word spline in the name?) to unload the T-bars.

He says that they run around $150 - $200. He doesn't want it, so I have to buy it. I can't find one here in town to rent.

I've heard that you can get the tranny out without taking the cross member out. Just loosen it and drop it down. But I've also heard that's only true on 2X4s. 4X4s don't fit according to another source.

All the posts I've found about removing the torsion bars don't mention needing a special tool.

I called the dealer and asked if you needed a special tool for this and all he would tell me is "Yup, you might, depending on the year." Either didn't want to tell me or didn't know and didn't want to bother to look it up.

I tried eBay and there are 37 for sale, but none for Nissan.

Do I really need a special tool for unloading the torsion bars, or are the posts that say you just unscrew the nuts correct?

Is there any place I can buy/rent one for a reasonable price?

Thanks,
Brad.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Here's a decent video of a guy replacing a torsion bar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svpsYPrsB4E

I watched it, and I didn't see where any special tool was required (although you may need something to push the bar out of the anchor arm if it's really jammed up in there. His was broken, and he used a grind wheel to cut off what was left in order to get the anchor arm out.)

Video doesn't specify a year other than to say 2000 - 2004 xterra.

PS: He does mention using a "clamp" called a "torque anchor" near the end of the video, but he doesn't use it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you have antifreeze in it?? And the right amount ??
Short version: No.

Long version: The heater hose was cracked and spewing steam. I had a replacement on order. Meanwhile I kept filling it up with water. Antifreeze became diluted. In January. In Nebraska. Froze overnight.

Why do you ask?

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
no special tool needed

·
Registered
214 Posts
I didn't see where any special tool was required .... His was broken,
Well, it makes sense that you wouldn't need a tool to unload the tension if it was already broken.
My bad. I misunderstood your question. I thought you were asking about a tool for removal. As far as "unloading" goes, it makes sense that if the torsion bar can be installed without being under load, it can be uninstalled by reversing the process. Hence the adjustability on the anchor arm.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I thought you were asking about a tool for removal.
I can't claim any expertise since I've never done it, but what I've gathered is that you unload the tension before you remove the bar.

In fact, I'd say it doesn't make any sense to me. I'd think that you'd need the tool to put the tension back on when you were installing it, but that you could take the nuts off and the tension would come off on its own.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Have taken TBs out over a dozen times. No special tool needed. Just jack the front off the ground to take off tension.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts