Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Sounds like a diesel...

946 views 18 replies 5 participants last post by  rickterra 
#1 ·
2004 3.3 SE
This is the sound I have after changing out the distributor. Smoke coming out around the manifold area. Timing is perfect and I did the relearn sequence that was required. The additional annoying sounds is the AC compressor bearing I believe. Any help is appreciated!

#6 ·
From what I'm reading here is the knock sound wasn't there until you replaced the distributor. Seems the motor didn't fail while you were replacing the distributor but you have the distributor installed and set such that your timing is now so advanced that it's got preignition knock.

#7 ·
I tried different settings with the distributor and on tooth off means it wont start or run. I starts and idles fine. The belt was done by a Mitsubishi dealer. I cant imagine the belt jumping but not ruling it out. Will I be able to tell if it has jumped by removing the stated cover? After replacing the distributor the is a sequence to the tps to relearn where it should be. Thanks again for the inpuit.

#5 ·
There is something very wrong inside that poor engine. The knocking is almost certainly a rod knocking on the crank. The "squish" sound could be from compression that has nowhere to go from failing to open one or both valves, or possibly from one cylinder just not firing.

Getting to the t-belt cover will mean pulling all 3 belts off, along with the fan and brackets, but you should be able to leave the harmonic balancer on. However, one nice note on both of the times that I've done the t-belt (2001 and 2004), each of the new harmonic balancers slid on and off with just my hands once the original was off, so you might be able to remove fairly easily it to gain a full view of the t-belt.

#11 ·
I'm thinking that's just oil from the valve cover gasket running onto the exhaust manifold.

And it won't throttle up or anything right? Not that you should though.

@MeToo do you known anything of this relearn sequence, cause i sure would like to know about it.
It could be and I did remove and reinstall the valve cover on the passenger side. I inspected the gasket and reinstalled. I dont see where any oil is leaking from to run down onto the headers. I'm going to get a mirror to see if I can locate the source. It will rev up and is part of the relearn sequence. Page 601

#13 ·
It could be and I did remove and reinstall the valve cover on the passenger side. I inspected the gasket and reinstalled. I dont see where any oil is leaking from to run down onto the headers. I'm going to get a mirror to see if I can locate the source. It will rev up and is part of the relearn sequence. Page 601
Hello! I had a similar issue with my xterra sounding like a diesel if you want to hear what mine sounded like -->Xterra diesel My problem was the rapid tapping sound was the valve colliding with the piston ultimately ruining my intake valves.. I would look more into the timing and make sure it's fully aligned.. I myself thought my chain was fully aligned and in order but boy was I wrong.. I can't give to much info though as I got the 2.4l instead of the 3.3l

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.