Nissan XTerra Forum banner
341 - 360 of 361 Posts

·
Registered
2004 xterra 6cyl 3.3L (160k miles) & 2003 xterra 6cyl 3.3L (dead engine)
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #341 ·
Good to see that you seem able to put some more effort into getting this going! I hope it goes well.
I physically can't do it, which is why I was going to take devineli up on his offer for help if it's still available

·
Registered
2004 Xterra XE 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
1,789 Posts
I hope he's able to improve your situation, and it'd be nice if others were close enough to help as well.

·
Registered
2015 Xterra Pro-4X
1,376 Posts
I physically can't do it, which is why I was going to take devineli up on his offer for help if it's still available
Hope the month of July has been good to you. I've been wondering how you are doing there. I suppose you might be busy with the grandma thing.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #344 ·
@XT2015 yes & no (very nice of you to be checking in :)) ... still waiting to get into the neurologist (Aug 4th). July honestly sucked for me, heat & MS don't mix at all, I mostly stayed in the house. As for the X, @devineli_ded and his friend Alex came by this week, put the top of the engine back together (with new greased o-rings this time) got the truck running. They did not have a chance to get the pitman seal done (it was getting late) but said he would come back another day. I did drive it a little, as did my daughter, then we parked it. seems like its still idleing a little high, she swears it did its "surge" thing a cpl times like it did before, and I think it's leaking something (not sure what cuz I need a new piece of cardboard under it to determine that to be sure) so yes it starts & runs, no we are not using it just to be sure we don't mess it up again.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #347 · (Edited)
Haha thanks! It was good time! Pictures don't do the amount of work she did justice!

@xterra mom x2 hopefully we can get together soon and figure out that pitman seal and whatever else is going on!
how was everyone's holiday's? I so miss all the conversations & chatting with you all on here!!! It's been too long, due to so many covid cases, I was unable to get admitted to get the treatment I should have gotten to get me functioning back to 100% so I have been at home since May doing my own rehab, I'd say I'm at about 85% now, and way past ready to get back to the mystery of what is still wrong with my daughter's X! ...

After @devineli_ded was here and got it back running, it was still not running right so we parked it. I have since checked all the fluids (something told me to out of curiosity because of the mystery leak) and apparently all the antifreeze has leaked out from somewhere :oops: :unsure: I had changed all the hoses underneath the plenum and pretty positive all connections were good and snug. I still have the gut feeling that (IF) when that guy at the shop replaced the waterpump & timing belt, he did not do it properly! Sadly, I know I have not built back up enough strength to tackle the job of removing all that to check/re-do the job I think he messed up :cry:

• Wow
Reactions: MeToo

·
Registered
2004 Xterra XE 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
1,789 Posts
It sounds like the leak is down low enough to empty the whole system. What's down low is the water pump and the lower hose.

Sounds like this is a perfect opportunity to use the time that you're not workin' on it to let it help you diagnose it. Fill it with water and get a leak detection dye. Start the engine to distribute the dye, including into the radiator and heater core, so that means getting it to warm up to a point. Take a black light (or whatever is recommended for the dye) and check for any existing dye. If you find any, take a picture or wash it off.

Then let time do its thing.

·
Registered
2015 Xterra Pro-4X
1,376 Posts
how was everyone's holiday's? I so miss all the conversations & chatting with you all on here!!! It's been too long, due to covid, I was unable to get the treatment I should have gotten to get me functioning back to 100% so I have been at home since May doing my own rehab, I'd say I'm at about 85% now, and way past ready to get back to the mystery of what is still wrong with my daughter's X! ...

After @devineli_ded was here and got it back running, it was still not running right so we parked it. I have since checked all the fluids (something told me to out of curiosity because of the mystery leak) and apparently all the antifreeze has leaked out from somewhere :oops: :unsure: I had changed all the hoses underneath the plenum and pretty positive all connections were good and snug. I still have the gut feeling that (IF) when that guy at the shop replaced the waterpump & timing belt, he did not do it properly! Sadly, I know I have not built back up enough strength to tackle the job of removing all that to check/re-do the job I think he messed up :cry:
We miss having you on the forum. Hope 2022 gets you back to 100%. Chances are the big hose that runs from the water pump to the lower radiator is the cry baby. Wear safety glasses when you go down under!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #350 ·
It sounds like the leak is down low enough to empty the whole system. What's down low is the water pump and the lower hose.

Sounds like this is a perfect opportunity to use the time that you're not workin' on it to let it help you diagnose it. Fill it with water and get a leak detection dye. Start the engine to distribute the dye, including into the radiator and heater core, so that means getting it to warm up to a point. Take a black light (or whatever is recommended for the dye) and check for any existing dye. If you find any, take a picture or wash it off.

Then let time do its thing.
I guess I should've worded it better... When I took off the radiator cap, the coolant level was low enough to where I can't see any from the the opening, I have not opened it from the bottom to see if it was completely empty.

·
Registered
2004 Xterra SE V6 M/T
99 Posts
how was everyone's holiday's? I so miss all the conversations & chatting with you all on here!!! It's been too long, due to so many covid cases, I was unable to get admitted to get the treatment I should have gotten to get me functioning back to 100% so I have been at home since May doing my own rehab, I'd say I'm at about 85% now, and way past ready to get back to the mystery of what is still wrong with my daughter's X! ...

I was just telling Zadie the other day I was going to check in with you and see how you were holding up!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #352 ·
I was just telling Zadie the other day I was going to check in with you and see how you were holding up!
Not great, but not dead. I do need her X going though, she can't handle my envoy XL, just had to replace my side mirror because she took out 2 mailboxes 😮🙄

·
Registered
2004 Xterra SE V6 M/T
99 Posts
Not great, but not dead. I do need her X going though, she can't handle my envoy XL, just had to replace my side mirror because she took out 2 mailboxes 😮🙄
Ouch! I didn't realize you responded the other day. I start back to work tomorrow. If you want we can probably get together next weekend though!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #354 ·
Ouch! I didn't realize you responded the other day. I start back to work tomorrow. If you want we can probably get together next weekend though!
That would be wonderful! I was really trying to get it to where we could get together while you/school was on break but it just wasn't working out that way for me.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well these Xterra'$ were designed and built in the USA, they do seem rather finicky.. Couple lessons here, if u take a car to a shop; get the issue fixed your taking it in for. Do not go for the upsell until that issue is fixed. I appreciate your can do spirit, sounds like the idling issue started after you took off the intake and removed all the goop, the goop is the brains of the operation! In all seriousness it may sound like a good idea to clean her up but usually I just leave everything alone and fix the problem I went in for. When you removed the intake did you pop off the pcv valve hose or flex it to the side? My money is on a vacuum leak in one of those old hoses that connect to the intake, OR the intake gasket to intake seal itself. Best of luck!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #356 ·
Well these Xterra'$ were designed and built in the USA, they do seem rather finicky.. Couple lessons here, if u take a car to a shop; get the issue fixed your taking it in for. Do not go for the upsell until that issue is fixed. I appreciate your can do spirit, sounds like the idling issue started after you took off the intake and removed all the goop, the goop is the brains of the operation! In all seriousness it may sound like a good idea to clean her up but usually I just leave everything alone and fix the problem I went in for. When you removed the intake did you pop off the pcv valve hose or flex it to the side? My money is on a vacuum leak in one of those old hoses that connect to the intake, OR the intake gasket to intake seal itself. Best of luck!
You should've read the entire thread, i have replaced all those items

Reactions: XT2015

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
The thread has reached 356 posts, so I'd give him a pass on that one though. :D

Actually...

Could you give us a quick list of all the things that have been done so far. It's been a while and I'm sure the rest of the members both new and old would appreciate the condensed version to get caught up. I'd give an individual line for each item just to make it easier to sort through.

Let us know how this weekend goes. I hope you guys manage to sort it out.

My weekend project is tearing the interior out of my wife's Highlander... AGAIN... because rodents have decided to nest there... AGAIN... and have chewed all the wire harnesses I previously fixed right where I had fixed them. I think I'll be spraying a liberal coating of pepper spray on the wires and in the spaces under the panels including the noise deadening materials. That ought to make the little bastards think twice.

Ahhhh... country living...

·
Registered
22 Posts
You should've read the entire thread, i have replaced all those items
If you took it off the TPS did you reset the tps with a a vacuum gauge? This guy had the same problem. The tps looks touchy and precise.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #359 ·

Actually...

Could you give us a quick list of all the things that have been done so far. It's been a while and I'm sure the rest of the members both new and old would appreciate the condensed version to get caught up. I'd give an individual line for each item just to make it easier to sort through.

My weekend project is tearing the interior out of my wife's Highlander... AGAIN... because rodents have decided to nest there... AGAIN... and have chewed all the wire harnesses I previously fixed right where I had fixed them. I think I'll be spraying a liberal coating of pepper spray on the wires and in the spaces under the panels including the noise deadening materials. That ought to make the little bastards think twice.

Sorry to hear about your rodent issues, my dad had that problem with mice chewing up the interior of his 1970 convertible inside his garage that he's had since I was a kid. As for the X, that was supposed to be last wknd, don't know what happened there. Once this cold front passes I'm going to go out there and try tackling it on my own again I guess (cold weather & ms are not a good mix & I don't want to start something I'm physically unable to finish) I will post a list of everything I've already replaced/fixed for you tomorrow

Attachments

Reactions: MeToo

·
Registered
22 Posts

Actually...

Had the same problem, bought this Angveirt Ultrasonic Mouse Repellent Battery Operated Pest Repeller Rodent Repellent Ultrasonic Mouse Deterrent for Car Engines when the car is moving it turns off then turns back on when it stops.. It worked! 2 for 35$ Worth it.

341 - 360 of 361 Posts