Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
2004 xterra 6cyl 3.3L (160k miles) & 2003 xterra 6cyl 3.3L (dead engine)
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ok so my daughter's 2004 xterra 6cyl 3.3L started leaking antifreeze. Found the area it was coming from, replaced the thermostat and that obnoxiously difficult hose right above it that is next to impossible to get to.... It was still leaking after that. Took it to a shop and had the water pump & timing belt replaced (if you do 1 you might as well do the other and I don't have the tools for the timing). Mechanic said something else was leaking and he wanted to charge me to let him "remove the manifold cover to check the hoses underneath". I told him I would do it. Drove it home from the shop (maybe a 10 minute drive) and sure enough it was still leaking. Parked it and left it for a cpl weeks due to continuous rain/freezing weather (I have no garage or carport) now the weather is better, I did find a small hose (about the length & width of a middle finger) under the manifold cover that was dry, cracked and had a small hole in it. Replaced that, YAY NO MORE LEAKS!!!

Now this is where my next problem starts... I had to take off the throttle body and surrounding things to get to that leaking hose. Since it was off, I cleaned all the gunk out from inside. I put everything back on where it came off of. Now... the truck starts but "service engine soon" light is on & runs high on rpm's (when idleing my nonda scan tool is saying my rpm's are in the 1300's). I did a scan with my "nonda" scanner & my "fixd" scanner, both say no issues found when the service engine light is on. So I went to see my friends at Autozone and one of them hooked up their "innova 3160" scanner and it pulled 7 old codes, so we cleared them all, engine light came back a few minutes later. We rescanned it and it pulled a P0122 P0123 code saying...
Code:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
*harness or connectors
-TP sensor 2 circuit is open or shorted
Electric throttle control actuator (TP sensor 2)
Accelerator pedal position sensor (APP sensor 2)
1. Accelerator pedal position sensor 1/circuit
2. Throttle/pedal position sensor/switch A circuit low input
3. Throttle position sensor 2/Circuit B1

*then it says repair immediately.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
For the past 2 days I have been tweaking settings, unplugging & cleaning & checking connections, I have done 2 different "throttle body relearn procedures". Usually if I can't figure out what needs to be done I call my best friend and between the 2 of us (mostly him) we always figure it out and I get things fixed. We have been on the phone trying to figure it out for 2 days and nothing I do is fixing the rpm, I did get it to lower a little by adjusting the throttle cable (it was at 1500) but I/we are out of ideas and do not know what else to do. My daughter needs her truck for college, I need my truck back from her so I can sell it & get a new one... Anyone with any thoughts, ideas, tips, tricks... anything would be greatly appreciated! I need to get these vehicles fixed and gone, my house is starting to look like a car lot and my neighbors are not happy

·
Administrator
2000 Xterra XE 4x4 3.3L AT
9,431 Posts
I’m going to assume no Supercharger.

Go to the factory service manual, click on Xterra, select your year, Engine Control System section, page EC-750 and run through the diagnostic.

Factory service manual can be found at the following link as a PDF and can be downloaded for free.
Xterra Factory Service/Owners Manuals

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Go to the factory service manual, click on Xterra, select your year, Engine Control System section, page EC-750 and run through the diagnostic.

Factory service manual can be found at the following link as a PDF and can be downloaded for free.
God NO lol ... I bought these for my 2 teenage daughters. A supercharger would land them in jail lol

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

God NO lol ... I bought these for my 2 teenage daughters. A supercharger would land them in jail lol. Thank you for the reply, I'm going to read through the manual tonight and try again tomorrow. "fingers crossed"

·
Registered
472 Posts
ok so my daughter's 2004 xterra 6cyl 3.3L started leaking antifreeze. Found the area it was coming from, replaced the thermostat and that obnoxiously difficult hose right above it that is next to impossible to get to.... It was still leaking after that. Took it to a shop and had the water pump & timing belt replaced (if you do 1 you might as well do the other and I don't have the tools for the timing). Mechanic said something else was leaking and he wanted to charge me to let him "remove the manifold cover to check the hoses underneath". I told him I would do it. Drove it home from the shop (maybe a 10 minute drive) and sure enough it was still leaking. Parked it and left it for a cpl weeks due to continuous rain/freezing weather (I have no garage or carport) now the weather is better, I did find a small hose (about the length & width of a middle finger) under the manifold cover that was dry, cracked and had a small hole in it. Replaced that, YAY NO MORE LEAKS!!!

Now this is where my next problem starts... I had to take off the throttle body and surrounding things to get to that leaking hose. Since it was off, I cleaned all the gunk out from inside. I put everything back on where it came off of. Now... the truck starts but "service engine soon" light is on & runs high on rpm's (when idleing my nonda scan tool is saying my rpm's are in the 1300's). I did a scan with my "nonda" scanner & my "fixd" scanner, both say no issues found when the service engine light is on. So I went to see my friends at Autozone and one of them hooked up their "innova 3160" scanner and it pulled 7 old codes, so we cleared them all, engine light came back a few minutes later. We rescanned it and it pulled a "P0122" code saying...
Code:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
*harness or connectors

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
For the past 2 days I have been tweaking settings, unplugging & cleaning & checking connections, I have done 2 different "throttle body relearn procedures". Usually if I can't figure out what needs to be done I call my best friend and between the 2 of us (mostly him) we always figure it out and I get things fixed. We have been on the phone trying to figure it out for 2 days and nothing I do is fixing the rpm, I did get it to lower a little by adjusting the throttle cable (it was at 1500) but I/we are out of ideas and do not know what else to do. My daughter needs her truck for college, I need my truck back from her so I can sell it & get a new one... Anyone with any thoughts, ideas, tips, tricks... anything would be greatly appreciated! I need to get these vehicles fixed and gone, my house is starting to look like a car lot and my neighbors are not happy
From what I have read on the forum before you probably have created the high idle situation by removing and cleaning the throttle body assembly and associated pieces. Seems people get involved with that unit and have a real wrestling match getting it back to running normally. I don't have the answer for you but there are a number of people on this forum that can certainly steer you in the right direction. It seems you are close but I believe it's the fine details that are missing in getting the throttle body talking nicely to the main computer [ECM].

·
Registered
472 Posts
From what I have read on the forum before you probably have created the high idle situation by removing and cleaning the throttle body assembly and associated pieces. Seems people get involved with that unit and have a real wrestling match getting it back to running normally. I don't have the answer for you but there are a number of people on this forum that can certainly steer you in the right direction. It seems you are close but I believe it's the fine details that are missing in getting the throttle body talking nicely to the main computer [ECM].
I recall now that a member that goes by "PHENOMENON" had the same problem and had success in resolving it with a very detailed process.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I'd say do the TPS relearn procedure exactly as it is explained in the factory service manual.
Also check the wire harness to the TPS for any cracks in the insulation of the small wires. My sone had the same code on his Outlander and it was due to tiny cracks in the wire harness near the connector that were allowing the harness to short.
Another possibility is that you simply have a bad TPS.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
This guy makes some of my favorite videos. He's working on a gen1 Frontier, but it's the exact same vehicle except for the body. Anway, He's troubleshooting and diagnosing and resetting the TPS. He's very thorough.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This guy makes some of my favorite videos. He's working on a gen1 Frontier, but it's the exact same vehicle except for the body. Anway, He's troubleshooting and diagnosing and resetting the TPS. He's very thorough.

I did find & follow his video... it did not work :-( I also tried the relearn video posted by 1A auto

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I feel the same way but that's the most frustrating part, everything else seems fine except the high idle which is causing it to drink gas like a person finding water in the desert! I have made all the fine tweaks that I can think of and it just doesn't seem to be working in my favor... It wasn't this complicated cleaning the throttle body out on my GMC Envoy

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
7 Posts

Now this is where my next problem starts... I had to take off the throttle body and surrounding things to get to that leaking hose. Since it was off, I cleaned all the gunk out from inside. I put everything back on where it came off of. Now... the truck starts but "service engine soon" light is on & runs high on rpm's (when idleing my nonda scan tool is saying my rpm's are in the 1300's). I did a scan with my "nonda" scanner & my "fixd" scanner, both say no issues found when the service engine light is on. So I went to see my friends at Autozone and one of them hooked up their "innova 3160" scanner and it pulled 7 old codes, so we cleared them all, engine light came back a few minutes later. We rescanned it and it pulled a "P0122" code saying...
Code:
*harness or connectors

Xterra

Engine Control System

2000-2004 Nissan Xterra Idle Air Volume Adjustment Procedure2000-2004 Nissan Xterra Idle Air Volume Adjustment Procedure
Models:
  • 2000 Nissan Xterra
  • 2001 Nissan Xterra
  • 2002 Nissan Xterra
  • 2003 Nissan Xterra
  • 2004 Nissan Xterra
Idle Air Volume Learning is an operation to learn the idle air volume that keeps each engine within the specific range. It must be performed under any of the following conditions:
  • Each time electric throttle control actuator or ECM is replaced.
  • Idle speed or ignition timing is out of specification.
Instructions
Preparation

Before performing Idle Air Volume Adjustment, make sure that all of the following conditions are satisfied. Learning will be cancelled if any of the following conditions are missed for even a moment.
  • Battery voltage: More than 12.9V (At idle)
  • Engine coolant temperature: 70 - 100 C (158 - 212 F)
  • Park/neutral position (PNP) switch: ON (Shifter in Park or Neutral)
  • Electric load switch: OFF (Air conditioner, headlamp, rear window defogger)
  • Steering wheel: Neutral (Straight-ahead position)
  • Vehicle speed: Stopped
  • Transmission: Warmed-up (Drive vehicle for 10 minutes.)
Procedure
    Start engine and warm it up to normal operating temperature.

Rev engine (2,000-3,000 rpm) two o three times under no-load (A/C OFF, headlights OFF, radio OFF), then run the engine at idle speed.

Adjust the idle speed by turning the idle speed adjusting screw.
4 Engine Cyl Idle speed = 750 ± 50 rpm (in P or N position)
2000-2004 Nissan Xterra Idle Air Volume Adjustment Procedure
6 Engine Cyl Idle speed = 700 ± 50 rpm (in P or N position)
2000-2004 Nissan Xterra Idle Air Volume Adjustment Procedure

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
UPDATE

I am fully convinced this vehicle completely HATES ME!!! So far I have done the following (in the order written)...

~ replaced thermostat and gasket
~ replaced obnoxious hose (had a small hole/crack) right above thermostat
~ replaced water pump, timing belt, all other belts (done at a shop, charged $500 and I brought the parts myself)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~ removed and cleaned throttlebody (used carb cleaner)
~ replaced very small/short hose under plenum behind throttlebody (had crack)
~ tightened slack on throttle cable
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~ cleaned IACV (without removing) by spraying carb cleaner through connecting hose
~ adjusted idle screw (pretty sure it is all the way in now) ***Idle dropped from 1400 to 836/850
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~ have tried a few different "throttlebody relearn procedures" numerous times
-
- https://youtu.be/h7ksyO0h-qQ - https://youtu.be/3fr05j1aWyg - https://youtu.be/CXBzX6WbVYk
~ have disconnected battery & cleared codes with an innova scan tool numerous times

I don't know what else to do :-( short of going to another shop and being told there is more wrong than what's actually wrong and charged for repairs it does not need (yes some shops try this when a woman comes in)
*I do not have access to the scan tool listed in the manual that could be used to program relearn. When looking it up,
you pretty much have to have that exact scan tool for it.

Unless someone has a magic solution, I think I'm going to have to take it to a shop with that tool to get it reprogramed ;-(

·
Registered
70 Posts

Code:
*harness or connectors

I went through 3 TPS sensors make sure high quality are purchased, not from Amazon. I bought a digital meter to install my TPS " seen on Youtube".

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Yeah. The OEM are made by HITACHI. I'd go with either an OEM Nissan or a HITACHI. HITACHI will cost less, but is the exact same unit. The units from Nissan are actually stamped HITACHI if I remember correctly. Most of the electronics in these rigs are made by HITACHI.

·
Registered
472 Posts
UPDATE

I am fully convinced this vehicle completely HATES ME!!! So far I have done the following (in the order written)...

~ replaced thermostat and gasket
~ replaced obnoxious hose (had a small hole/crack) right above thermostat
~ replaced water pump, timing belt, all other belts (done at a shop, charged $500 and I brought the parts myself)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~ removed and cleaned throttlebody (used carb cleaner)
~ replaced very small/short hose under plenum behind throttlebody (had crack)
~ tightened slack on throttle cable
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~ cleaned IACV (without removing) by spraying carb cleaner through connecting hose
~ adjusted idle screw (pretty sure it is all the way in now) ***Idle dropped from 1400 to 836/850
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~ have tried a few different "throttlebody relearn procedures" numerous times
-
- https://youtu.be/h7ksyO0h-qQ - https://youtu.be/3fr05j1aWyg - https://youtu.be/CXBzX6WbVYk
~ have disconnected battery & cleared codes with an innova scan tool numerous times

I don't know what else to do :-( short of going to another shop and being told there is more wrong than what's actually wrong and charged for repairs it does not need (yes some shops try this when a woman comes in)
*I do not have access to the scan tool listed in the manual that could be used to program relearn. When looking it up,
you pretty much have to have that exact scan tool for it.

Unless someone has a magic solution, I think I'm going to have to take it to a shop with that tool to get it reprogramed ;-(
Your level of frustration and the need for a positive repair experience hopefully with the next shop visit, suggests to me that it is time to go to a reputable Nissan dealer service center that will have the proper tools, resources and experience to resolve your problem.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I could be wrong but I don't think the ETB videos are going to help you with the model year you're working on.
The tb relearn is the same in all the nissan videos that I have seen. Just some have different timing

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Your level of frustration and the need for a positive repair experience hopefully with the next shop visit, suggests to me that it is time to go to a reputable Nissan dealer service center that will have the proper tools, resources and experience to resolve your problem.
Its mostly frustrating simply because I am doing everything a "mechanic" would but it just is not working 😖 and I hate taking my vehicles to a shop if I can do the job myself... Been working on cars a long time & have learned a lot just from doing repairs myself

1 - 20 of 148 Posts