Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm Beyond Upset!!!! Rant alert:

My X (2015 Pro4X, Manual 48k miles only) was literally parked last sat night when some coked-up idiot plowed into her at 55 miles an hour. Ravaged the entire rear axle assembly, including suspension systems for both rear wheels, and likely some (unknown) impact on frame as well.

Geico is deeming it a "Total-Loss" and paying me only $23,500 ! (Plus Tax, but minus "salvage value" if I decide to keep the car)

They deem it a total loss if the initial damage estimate exceeds 75% of the worth of the car (They leave a cushion b/c they know that after all the superficial damage is removed, they usually discover additional damage equalling or exceeding the remaining 25%)The car was MANUAL (so, very rare & hard to find), was in fantastic shape, and only had ~48,000 miles on her - I feel at $23,500 they undervalued her.

I need your help! I don't know what to do, or even what other comparable car I could get if had to get a new car! I use my X for work to haul large loads (skis, bikes, large-appliances, furniture & stuff) and having that nice massive trunk hatch is KEY! (which cars have a comparably sized rear-hatch?)

I've done a search for comparable Used-Xterras within 350 miles of my location and there are extremely slim pickins... (no one wants to sell their Xterra, obviously!) and there isn't even a comparable Manual-transmission (or even automatic) one available!

Could it even be right that the damage below couldn't be repaired to like new condition for ~$ 17,000???? Can it even be fully repaired safely? Should I even try to take the cash and get it repaired on my own?

If I had to find a comparable replacement, what should I even consider?

Any other advice? Thanks!

·
Registered
32 Posts
You could check KBB.com for the value. $23,500 seems reasonable to me for a 5 year old Xterra. I would take the money and move on. If you insist on repairing it with that much damage, it will never be the same even if they do try to repair it.

Remember, everyone thinks their car is worth more than it is.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well local to me KBB puts this right in the middle of private party sales price in excellent condition at 48k miles, and would be at the top of very good condition. That of course doesn't mean it's going to be easy to find though.

I would jump on facebook marketplace and use the filters:
Nissan
Xterra
Manual

I found a lot of them, including a few Pro 4Xs, within a couple hundred miles of me. Of course none were as low miles as yours, but would also drop a fair amount of that cash back into your pocket.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do any of you agree that this car can't be fixed?
If so, what (new) SUVs are comparable to the Xterra now that I could even look to get? (DO any come with ManualTransmission?)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Manuals are getting hard to find. The only SUV's made in 2021 with a manual will be the Jeep wrangler and the Ford Bronco.

If you add Pickups the Toyota Tacoma and Jeep Gladiator also can come with a stick shift.

But that is it for 4x4 manuals.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd even be willing to consider Automatic Transmissions... (gasp!) Which Mid-Size SUVs compare the XTerra nowadays??? Is there even anything comparable ??

·
Registered
61 Posts
Toyota 4runner would be the closest.

And to be comparable to the pro4x (locking rear differential ) you would need to pick from the "trd off road premium" or the "venture special edition" or the "trd pro" trim lines.

Most midsize suv's are really just tall cars. Nissan dropped the Xterra and all it's midsize SUVs are car based.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My .02 take your time. get the rental find another one.

I just got back a bought new by me '07 SE I gave my daughter 4 years ago when she got her license. I bought a '16 trail premium 4Runner.

She did just enough damage in a 180* spin out that they would not fix.

Basically cracked a spring, wheel & some plastic.. a pull here & a pound there pinky nail size paint touch up. Most of the bent metal is under the rear bumper 1/4. Good enough for me ))

I had all the parts to do timing chains already before she had the accident.

I decided to tackle all the repairs to the 10th OCD detailed everything bought some great used parts, brought all maintenance up to level 0 250k miles NEW

ps. I don't miss the 4Runner

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
@K2Pilot
My .02 take your time. get the rental find another one.

I just got back a bought new by me '07 SE I gave my daughter 4 years ago when she got her license. I bought a '16 trail premium 4Runner.

She did just enough damage in a 180* spin out that they would not fix.

Basically cracked a spring, wheel & some plastic.. a pull here & a pound there pinky nail size paint touch up. Most of the bent metal is under the rear bumper 1/4. Good enough for me ))

I had all the parts to do timing chains already before she had the accident.

I decided to tackle all the repairs to the 10th OCD detailed everything bought some great used parts, brought all maintenance up to level 0 250k miles NEW

ps. I don't miss the 4Runner

View attachment 75976
Interesting you say that because I got a call from the owner of the tow lot where my X is parked right now, and he claims he can easily fully fix it up like new for way less than they'll pay me ... He claims that there is no frame damage, and that since all of the damage was at the back, there won't be any impact on the drivability of the car... (Plus, in his words, even if there is minor frame damage, since it's all at the rear, he can easily straighten it out with a frame straightener if he even needs to)

He offered to do all the work, let me keep a few thousand dollars.... everybody wins... What do you all think about this?

[Caveat - I don't know this guy or his shop from adam, so of course, I can NOT vouch for him. He claims it's not that big of a job. I looked up his shop on Google ... It has mostly decent reviews, with a few disgruntled complaints thrown in for good measure too] Also, he'd have me over a barrel - Other than the basics, i do NOT intimately know my way around the inside of an Xterra (or any car, for that matter)

·
Registered
42 Posts
agreed^^^

I am a sucker. I see the abandoned puppy in motorcycles was toooo often. lol

ME I would take the cash, beat the shit out of the ins co for every nickel on salvage value & make the truck safe & reliable to drive. That truck even going down the road 1/2 sideways like an old bull dog will outlast anything.....

Especially in prep for the shitstorm we are in for here in the city, perfect candidate for a mad max urban assault vehicle )

And a major +++ its paid for... and IT PAID YOU!!.... 35k miles no brainer.

Flex seal tape the shit out of it. LOLLL

MY truck owes me nothing )

If I didn't just basically rebuild my truck I would buy yours for parts... and would go on record for dibs on parts if you buy it & part it. ))) I'm on SI. right over the bridge ))

·
Registered
3 Posts

My X (2015 Pro4X, Manual 48k miles only) was literally parked last sat night when some coked-up idiot plowed into her at 55 miles an hour. Ravaged the entire rear axle assembly, including suspension systems for both rear wheels, and likely some (unknown) impact on frame as well.

Geico is deeming it a "Total-Loss" and paying me only $23,500 ! (Plus Tax, but minus "salvage value" if I decide to keep the car)

They deem it a total loss if the initial damage estimate exceeds 75% of the worth of the car (They leave a cushion b/c they know that after all the superficial damage is removed, they usually discover additional damage equalling or exceeding the remaining 25%)The car was MANUAL (so, very rare & hard to find), was in fantastic shape, and only had ~48,000 miles on her - I feel at $23,500 they undervalued her.

I need your help! I don't know what to do, or even what other comparable car I could get if had to get a new car! I use my X for work to haul large loads (skis, bikes, large-appliances, furniture & stuff) and having that nice massive trunk hatch is KEY! (which cars have a comparably sized rear-hatch?)

I've done a search for comparable Used-Xterras within 350 miles of my location and there are extremely slim pickins... (no one wants to sell their Xterra, obviously!) and there isn't even a comparable Manual-transmission (or even automatic) one available!

Could it even be right that the damage below couldn't be repaired to like new condition for ~$ 17,000???? Can it even be fully repaired safely? Should I even try to take the cash and get it repaired on my own?

Any other advice? Thanks!

View attachment 75963 View attachment 75964

View attachment 75966 View attachment 75967
Hey CanAmXterra,
I have an auto Xterra, pro4x, 2015 I’m looking to sell..., under 48k miles. I have a fella interested but hasn’t committed, live outside of nashville Tn... email me if you’re interested, I do not have it listed for sale...

·
Registered
8 Posts
My X (2015 Pro4X, Manual 48k miles only)
The car was MANUAL (so, very rare & hard to find), was in fantastic shape, and only had ~48,000 miles on her - I feel at $23,500 they undervalued her.
I use my X for work to haul large loads (skis, bikes, large-appliances, furniture & stuff) and having that nice massive trunk hatch is KEY!

I've done a search for comparable Used-Xterras within 350 miles of my location and there are extremely slim pickins...

I would be extremely upset too! More rant!!
Something very similar happened to us about 15 years ago with a different car. We finally decided to just share our one car and pocket the money. It took some getting used to, but was a nice bundle of cash in the bank. On the other hand about 10 years ago Our immaculate Aframe trailer got totaled by someone else and the insurance company refused to pay even half it's value with all of the upgrades we had done, and the condition. There were simply no equivalents.

I have now converted my 2007 SE 4x4 Xterra into a tiny van-type RV and am loving boondocking in it. It only has 87,000 miles on it and I have taken really good care of it. Because I live in the UP of Michigan with tons of snow and road salt, there is some rust. But since it is paid for, runs amazingly, and already has scratches on it, I feel free to make additions, like shelves, hanging things, etc, and not worry about resale value, which wouldn't be much by now, so am not worried about what happens if I modify it. It is worth way more to me.

If I were you I would actually take it to three different places, and not tell any of them where else you are taking it. Make absolutely sure if repaired that there could be nothing that could be at all dangerous or cause any problems. And then decide what to do.

I would not get a new vehicle. Many of them are now made with more plastics, and more complicated electronics that keep making any repairs more and more expensive. If you are using it to haul loads, why would you want to subject a new car to the abuse? Go beyond the 350 miles, and look at the 2 vehicles already mentioned here by other members. I used to only drive manuals also, until my knees went wonky and I had to replace them. So far I have had no problem with driving an automatic.

Good luck!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts