Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little late but I'm looking to buy some snow tires...
I bought an '06 Xterra X 4 wheel drive running 265/70/16 all seasons that seem to be on their last leg and not helping me too much in the recent snow storms I've encountered. My mechanic recommended Firestone Winterforce winter tires which I have been looking into but I wanted to get a second opinion from people who have run snows on similar vehicles. I'm thinking studded tires would be best, I have to be at work early in the morning, often before the plow has gone by, in an area with heavy snow well through the winter (New England...Vermont in particular).
Anyone with an affordable idea?
Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
164 Posts
I know General makes a snow tire that a lot of people say good things about. I believe it's called the Articmax, but don't quote me on that. There are studdable tires as well like the General Grabber AT2's which are an all terrain tire. I know BFG has some that are good in the snow as well. Look for the little snowflake somewhere in the description of the tire which means that they are rated for snow. Pretty much any all-terrain tire you get will do well in the snow. I used to live in northeast PA and we got a bunch of snow as well and I have the Kumho Road Venture AT's. I'm on my second set and love them for snow, mud, etc. but I have them in 32's

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have Maxxis bighorn MT 762 (studded) tires on my X for the winter. They are really a mud tire but by adding studs and having the center part of the tread sipped they make a great snow tire as well.

I just got back, about 3 weeks ago, from an elk hunt. I was pulling a 4000 lb. travel trailer and got caught in a snow storm. For the last 200 miles the roads were truly slippery. There were many cars and trucks stuck that had slid off the road. We sat for two hours while they pulled two semis out of the ditch. I was in 4 wheel drive all the way and my little Xterra, pulling the trailer, never slipped a tire. I knew these tires were a great mud tire and now I find they are also great in the snow.

Worth checking out for sure. http://www.offroaders.com/reviewbox/showproduct.php?product=692

·
Registered
19 Posts
A little late but I'm looking to buy some snow tires...
... I wanted to get a second opinion from people who have run snows on similar vehicles. I'm thinking studded tires would be best, I have to be at work early in the morning, often before the plow has gone by, in an area with heavy snow well through the winter (New England...Vermont in particular).
Anyone with an affordable idea?
Thanks for the help!
Hi. & Welcome.
(im in New England as well);)

The best snowtire I have ever encountered in my life..(not that I've tried all of them), Is the Bridgestone Blizzak.

(link just for reference, I don't know the best place to purchase)

http://www.tirerack.com/winter/bridgestone/blizzak.jsp

I haven't had them on my xterra, but I used these on an 89 Crown Vic wagon (RWD).It had 'all seasons' on it originally, but the tire would just spin in the slightest smallest snowflake. After searchin, and buying 2 Blizzaks (studless)...I swear I could NOT get stuck in ANY snow that whole winter (that I had the car). Several reviews said that their 4wd vehicles didn't need to be put into 4WD to get through 'major snow' (whatever that is).
I was VERY impressed.
YMMV

I recommend these to everyone, mainly because I could NOT believe that a snowtire could make such a difference.

pic of the crown vic (never miss a photo op) I did the paint myself. ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi, a newbe here, but one tire to consider is the Goodyear Dura Trac. I just purchased a 2001 X and got the 31/1050/15 ones however I have had the same tires on my last five wranglers, don't have snow in So Cal, but they do carry the snowflake mark on them and can be studded, almost no noise on the FWY. Remarkable in the sand and dirt, unknown about mud,we don't have much Ha Ha, good luck with whatever you choose !!!!

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
I second the Duratracs. Excellent snow tire (and it's studdable) and you can run them all year and not have to run 2 sets of tires. I ran BFG ATs last winter and they were outstanding, and the consensus is the Duratracs are even better. Waiting for the snow to fly to see for myself...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts