Nissan XTerra Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
If your valve cover gaskets are leaking and in need of replacement, then I would do that at the same time as the timing belt replacement. This will give you access to the rockers if you wish to try the leak down test.

·
Administrator
2000 Xterra XE 4x4 3.3L AT
9,091 Posts
The boroscope could be time consuming and possibly inconclusive. You’d have to look at every piston to be totally sure. If I was paying the labor, I’d just have the belt installed and hope for the best.

There is also other ways to check for valvetrain damage without a timing belt installed. For instance, one could remove the camshafts, which would cause all of the valves to be in the closed position, then perform a leak down test. This would also be very time consuming and I’d recommend installing a belt and hoping for the best in almost any situation.
Have to pull the heads to extract the camshafts due to the camshafts locating plate and retaining bolt. Not even enough room at the rear of the head to extract the cover plates and bolts much less the retaining bolt.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Yep, and if you remove the heads you can visually inspect the valves anyways. Also with the way the cam rocker works it would be a nightmare trying to reinsert the cams with the rockers in place anyways. If all you want to do is check if the valves are sealing then simply removing the rocker arms will cause all of the valves to close. This is typically a good idea when you need to rotate the crank and or the cam shaft to get them all back in sync after a broken belt anyways since it insures that you do not have a piston/valve interaction during this process.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Yeah I don’t know why I was thinking about VQ camshafts instead of VG. The moral of the story would have been the same that all of this is too much work and that the engine is probably just fine and the fastest easiest way to determine that would be to install a belt and see what happens.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts