Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So i got the crash coarse in SMOD today on my 3 day old X:( I bought one from a Nissan dealership Thursday and after a few test drives took it home) I didn't notice the rumble til 2 days later. Dealer is going to pay half to replace Rad and Trans.(guess i didn't do the right research and got screwed) AS-IS yada yada. Well here is my ?s I will be paying for half of the parts and they are gonna do labor for free. 1st ? is this, are the radiators that caused this problem off the market? are they going to put the same crap rad in if i let them choose to use a OME replacement? 2nd, i can choose the parts if i want, so should i get a certain brand to use for the replacement or stay away from any. Part #s to look out for? They told me this will fix it for good because the issue was caused by the old rad. Bummed out to be dealing with this after saving so long to get a X. Its my fault for not catching the foam on the rad cap. The X is my dream truck! loved them from day one. Thanks for any insight guys and gals. It's a 2006 S 4x4 model 112000 miles. I assume they will use the updated Matic s but after a full tran and rad do i need to stress a full flush to get anything left from the old system or will putting in the new Rad and tran mean the old garbage will be gone? Don't know that much about trans. Noob alert

·
Administrator
8,519 Posts
You need a whole new trans and rad and do the bypass on the rad if your going to tow a trailer you can add a trans cooler later if you want. Main thing is to keep the trans fluid out of the rad.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup doing new Rad and Tran. Any Rad i should look for? or stay away from? Any Trans cooler that is preferred? I will only be pulling my Honda trx450r or snowmobile, neither are very heavy

·
Registered
858 Posts
Dude that totally sucks.. Sorry to hear that..

One reason I'd never buy as-is.. I just feel something like thats guaranteed to happen.

That's the worst..

IMO, the dealership should do a 100-point inspection.. Its usually for CPOs, but its something you can request before buying..

If they didn't do one, it's probably because they actually did and saw there was something wrong with it..

It shouldn't be you yourself looking under the hood and noticing something wrong with the radiator, its something their mechanics look at before they take trade-ins. They should have told you..

The problem is that buyers are so excited they can finally get the vehicle of their dreams, they just trust others, instead of being super critical. And most dealerships take advantage of that.. I think them asking you to pay half is bullying, and you probably should have pushed back harder, maybe with a lawyer ..

Anyway.. Don't assume anything about their service. Watch them like a hawk and get all the details of exactly what they recommend.. Then go talk to a competing Nissan dealership and get their opinion as well

Good luck..

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yup i got the shaft, I trusted them and my excitement got the best of me. They knew about the smod and seems i was the only one who didn't. By law it was as is so i can't return it and don't have money for a lawyer. I love the X and got a good deal and after the new tran and rad it will be a fair deal, not great but fair. I like the fact i will have a new trans and rad going forward. I plan to drive this for many years to come. I figured better take the offer for paying half than nothing at all. The truck is mint other than this issue. So did nissan take the rad that failed off the market? Switch to a updated model? Don't want them putting the same shit back in and be in the same boat down the road. Whats the best replacement? I plan to go from the dealer shop to my trusted local trans shop to have a cooler installed if it doesn't void the warranty on the work they do_Or should i just do it and never look back? I think its 12 months 12,000 on the new tran and rad.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I asked them for a parts list and this what i got
1) trans #310cm-zp41ara $2,650.00
2) radiator #b1d60-ea21jnw $200
3) misc fluids and cleaners $150
I sent back one asking for a full list! This can't a full parts list can it? Does those come with all the other stuff needed? other parts have been effected and i want this fully repaired. torque converter and valve body need to replaced or no??

1 - 8 of 8 Posts