Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just purchased a used 2003 xterra. I noticed that the acceleration is very bad from a stop. I have to floor it to go up a hill.. once it catches speed, it’s normal. Has anyone had this issue? I checked the radiator and no signs of transmission mix.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'll throw a dart at the board. Lack of acceleration that flattens out with speed....may be a loss of ignition advance during acceleration. Does the 2003 use engine vacuum for mechanical advance in the distributor?

·
Registered
03 XE A/T, SC coming soon
660 Posts
Does the 2003 use engine vacuum for mechanical advance in the distributor?
Mechanical advance by name implies that it is changing position without the use of vacuum. Distributors will have either vacuum advance AND mechanical advance, or like the xterra it will only have mechanical advance

Trans fluid mixing with coolant is not an issue on the Gen1 trucks only the Gen2 trucks.
this can happen to any vehicle with a transmission fluid cooler inside of the radiator. it is extremely rare however, unlike the second generation where they are all time bombs

My wild guess with no other information would be a transmission stuck in failsafe. Probably third gear. This is assuming that it’s an automatic

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All I really know
Mechanical advance by name implies that it is changing position without the use of vacuum. Distributors will have either vacuum advance AND mechanical advance, or like the xterra it will only have mechanical advance

this can happen to any vehicle with a transmission fluid cooler inside of the radiator. it is extremely rare however, unlike the second generation where they are all time bombs

My wild guess with no other information would be a transmission stuck in failsafe. Probably third gear. This is assuming that it’s an automatic
Thanks for the response. What I know so far is that it has a check engine light. I’m going to take a reading for this tomorrow, as Labor Day is today (everything is closed). But it’s an automatic non 4x4. There are no leaks and it looks like the transmission was overhauled 4-5 years ago. I’m hoping it’s not the transmission as I really don’t think it would be a wise investment to fix that at this stage of the truck. Im reading many forums and they all have different outcomes on this issue. Anything helps at this point.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I read some threads about that and that’s the first thing I checked. The transmission has been overhauled before.. 5 years or so ago. Timing belt, water pump, power steering and starter have all been replaced just recent. All oil change documents show every 3 months. It does need a new radiator but my biggest concern is that acceleration issue. It feels like I’m in a standard car going up hill, with the truck rolling back, if I don’t Push the pedal down all the way.. I’m heading backwards.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Right you are Blackberry on the mechanical vs vacuum ignition advance. I need to proof read my writing for such errors. Now I know there is no vacuum on the Gen1 distributor.

·
Registered
16 Posts
i just purchased a used 2003 xterra. I noticed that the acceleration is very bad from a stop. I have to floor it to go up a hill.. once it catches speed, it’s normal. Has anyone had this issue? I checked the radiator and no signs of transmission mix.
I'd check the fuel filter first, then air filter, spark plugs next good luck!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just a thought! years ago father bought new car sister and dad drove it so slow everything was clogged up took out on freeway blow it out ???? Or maybe fuel filter ?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Check the the wire harness going down to the transmission
For expose wires and crack and a jacket
If oil It’s inside the jacket the wires might be compromised

·
Registered
1 Posts
Check timing and ignition timing .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts