Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
2009 Xterra of the year
3,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well earlier this week I built a sleeping platform and am just now getting around to posting pics.

I absolutely have to give credit to Kuma for the inspiration of this build. I used basically the same design concept he used and added a few things. Notice the corner braces that give strength to the corners and are mounted outside of the carpet. The overall width of the box is 41 7/8" and with the width of the added carpet the box fits very tight between the two wheel wells. I wanted it to be a tight fit so there is no movement in the trunk. The length is 34 1/4" and the overall height is a bit less than 8". These dimensions keep the box in place which is what I was going for its in there real tight.

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

* And here is how I did the sub enclosure, it's not 100% complete but it's hooked up and sounds great. The enclosure is located in the right compartment in the back of the cabinet box. Every seem in the entire box has been siliconed. I first planned on getting rid of the sub and amp all together but decided to just build the enclosure into the box. It's obviously smaller and the amp is actually in the same enclosure as the sub but it still sounds awesome, better than I thought it would. The box sits about 1.75" up which allows the sub to still hit but the key is silicone. There is also a separate lid that seals everything up... overall it was worth putting in the sub enclosure.

[/URL]

This one is blurry but its the storage I have just in front of the sub enclosure.

[/URL]

This is the storage on the left side of the cabinet used mostly for snowboard shit and recovery stuff.

[/URL]

This is how the back seats tuck away, seat back folds down and the actual seat gets flipped upside down and tucks away under the extensions.

[/URL][/IMG]

Total cost was less than $100 but I have more access to materials then some of you may. I work in construction so the sleeping platform is more of a working platform, it's like having a truck bed in the back of your X. I have some more finishing touches like lights and whatnot but ill get around to them next week. :aufkopfhauen-big:

·
Super Moderator
8,542 Posts
Pretty sweet Brandon! You have a great imagination bro!

·
Administrator
11,798 Posts
Nice job! I'm on the fence about doing a sleeping area for myself even though I think it looks really cool. But I do like the way you did the storage compartments split like that.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Awesome man! You did such a good job I am glad to see I can be a bit of inspiration but every more glad you added more and made it your own with some unique ideas! I really want to know more about it and see pictures! So did you make the sides come down like legs? And how did you do your extensions? I love the idea of just flipping over the seat cushions underneath with all the thought it never crossed my mind!

·
2009 Xterra of the year
3,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Yep the 2 sides of the box are 1x8's and the front and back pieces are 1x6's so I have about 1 3/4" of space under the box. This allows the sub to still hit and some space for the extension pieces.

I used the same leg system you used with the floor flanges and gas pipe. I came to the conclusion that any other way would be either more expensive, more complicated, or less strength. Keep it simple.

Also instead of air shocks for the lids im going to use friction lid supports, there about $3 a piece and you can get them at Home Depot in the cabinet hardware section.

·
prop jock
1,090 Posts
very nice work. i'm diggin the sub install inside the box.....and even more jealous about the snowboard gear. i haven't been on the slopes in at least 3 years now....come to think of it, the last time i saw snow in the last 2 years was in iraq....that's just plain sad

·
2009 Xterra of the year
3,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
very nice work. i'm diggin the sub install inside the box.....and even more jealous about the snowboard gear. i haven't been on the slopes in at least 3 years now....come to think of it, the last time i saw snow in the last 2 years was in iraq....that's just plain sad
That sucks bro your going to have to get to the mountains this winter. Im about to kick off my 13th season next weekend riding some backcountry near loveland pass. I use to ride for Winter Park snowboard team in high school so I still have tons of gear strewn everywhere. Im getting super excited for this season, gonna try and get in at least 60 days.

·
Registered
854 Posts
finally did enough digging to relocate your sleeping pad thread

:aufkopfhauen-big:

that's pretty close to what I want to do.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts