Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Recently I just got hired from this job offer after my older sister refered me to it. Got hired the same day 03/26/16 with $10 an hour and 40 hour a week but not guaranteed. It is a driving jobs and taking care surgery patient. Problem is I was told by the boss a car would be available by the beginning of next month April. But until then I have to keep drive my 6 cylinder 2000 nissan xterra 25 miles round trip from my house to the job location, then have to pick up the patient from the airport 15 miles away from job location round trip and drives patient to Doctor appointment, shopping centers and much more using my own vehicle
The boss pay 0.50 per mile and 1.85 for every hour of driving for gas. My problem right now is I have two kids plus wife that just got my new born couple weeks ago. I ve been using my own cash to go around and make all these process right now. And I m feeling very unsatisfied with the wage and every sacrifice that I have to put myself through to make a living with this job. What would you do or what would you suggest me to do in that case...?? Your help will be very appreciated.
I am a 3 years Patient Care Technician and 5 years D license Security Officer in Miami FL . But I do not have my CNA license in order to work in Hospital. However, I only have my PCT Diploma. And my security officer License. What should I do to help my family and myself?

·
Registered
204 Posts
For me, I would weigh the cost to my family and my happiness. If you are unhappy at your job, it can affect your entire life. As hard as you try not to bring the job home, the unhappiness, doubt and stress from a less then satisfactory job is almost impossible to keep from invading your personal life. I was making 50k+ a year and was completely miserable. My marriage suffered, my time with my family suffered. In the end, I took a lot less money in trade for improving my marriage, becoming a better father and generally being happier in life. Its a very delicate balancing act. Find something you love to do. Something you can enjoy without the second guessing and stress. The most important part is you are a positive influence on your marriage and your children. I hope this help and God Bless. I'll be praying for you.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
It is definitely a balancing act. You have a lot of things to weigh. I will explain how I approach these things with my family.

My first question for you: once you get a company car to cruise around in, do you like your job any more? At least you are getting compensated for mileage and gas, but it still makes it tough to front the money for your job. Is this job causing you damage by making you drive your Xterra for a few weeks, or is it just the job description in general that you don't like?

I always try to approach these things strategically. What do you WANT to do...and what barriers do you have to doing that?

What other jobs are you qualified for without your CNA?

Would you rather work in a hospital?

What does it take to get a CNA?

Do you like security more?

Are there any training gaps or education gaps preventing you from doing what you want?

I am always in favor of planning ahead and making strategic changes...but I am conservative in nature. I wouldn't quit a job just because I don't like it. Especially if you NEED the income to survive on. The worst thing to do is quit without a plan or another job lined up and leave your family in a worse position without that income.

On IndysX note on taking a pay cut to be happy...that is absolutely a factor to take into consideration with your family. How much income do you NEED? The lower your financial needs, the more jobs you can consider.

The last bit of encouragement I have: jobs don't have to be forever. I have worked jobs that I didn't like, but I knew I was planning for the next job. Fast forward six months from now, you could be doing something else entirely. You and your family would likely be better off if you toughed this job out for six months as opposed to quitting and being unemployed for six months.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Rob makes some excellent points especially with making a strategic plan both for the short term as well as the long term. He raised a bunch of questions you need to think about before you decision.

I would also ask myself

What are the priorities?

What order do they fall in?

What trade offs am I willing to make?

For me the top card was my family. The song "Trailer Hitch" sums it up pretty well for me. I can't take any of it with me.It was more important for me that my wife and I raise our son rather then a nanny/sitter/daycare. I made the choice to to take less money for more time home. That was the trade off I was willing to make. It takes 2 months to save for a new mod/upgrade now rather than every other week. Another trade off, albeit an easy one. But my bills are paid, i have the time with my family that i want and because of those two things I am so much happier in life.

**note** nice to chat about something other than the usual.

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
I've had every job under the sun, low paying jobs I loved and high paying jobs that tried to kill me.
My only advice is this, the grass is never greener on the other side of the fence. Collect your mileage per diem, soldier on, put a smile on your face and keep that smile, that alone will open doors. Do what it takes to make this employer give you a raving stellar recommendation. If you are concerned about the transport and bring it up to you manager, prepare in advance how you come across to him. Word things so it does not sound like you are complaining. Winning over a manager can be tough.
And never forget the fact that as bad as things seem, many others have it much worse.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My dad always told me to first, get a job. Then, find a better one. You have a job, so feel lucky because not everyone does. However, if it isn't working for you look for a better one in your free time. If you are a good employee, your current boss may be an excellent reference. Any good boss wants what is best for his employees, even if that means they eventually must move on. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
If I were you, I would stay awhile longer to see if the company really does indeed keep their promise of making the work car available next month like they mentioned. If this does not happen, then it is best for you to probably move on because $10/hour does not seem sufficient to cover your vehicle maintenance and so on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts