Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2000 Xterra, 2WD, about 158K miles. There are some things that need done, and I need to get some opinion as to whether I could easily do it myself, or if I shouldn't risk it and take it to a mechanic. I'm not a complete car repair virgin, but I'm no gear-head either.

Here are the things I know need done right now:

Rear shocks
Front struts
Starter
Rotars
Timing Adjustment

Money is as big a motivator as time and effort. Not looking to "upgrade" right now, so much as get it back to square one. THEN, the upgrades will come!

Thanks!

·
Sage Mentor/Moderator
12,216 Posts
I've got a 2000 Xterra, 2WD, about 158K miles. There are some things that need done, and I need to get some opinion as to whether I could easily do it myself, or if I shouldn't risk it and take it to a mechanic. I'm not a complete car repair virgin, but I'm no gear-head either.

Here are the things I know need done right now:

Rear shocks
Front struts
Starter
Rotars
Timing Adjustment

Money is as big a motivator as time and effort. Not looking to "upgrade" right now, so much as get it back to square one. THEN, the upgrades will come!

Thanks!

:D

Rear shocks - easy....2 bolts each....5 minutes a side not counting rust.

Front struts...um, they're shocks, still easy, 2 bolts each, but taking off the front tires helps....the top bolt is the post type, the bottom is an eye....call it 15 min per side with the tires coming off first.

Starter - Pretty easy...unbolt it, pull it out, put in the new one, re-bolt it...45 minutes if you're slow....oh, wait, you're 2wd...might be faster....haven't done 2wd.

Rotars - PITA, but not hard per se...call it 2 hours per side if you're slow.

Timing Adjustment - easy/typically not needed.

So, call it a weekend.

As for not upgrading....SHOCKS scream for the replacements to BE an upgrade...so you don't need to replace essentially new shocks later, which would be silly.

:wink-big:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Go ahead and do it all yourself. If you have basic tools it will be a walk in the park, and then you can spend your cash in other places.

Regardless if you upgrade shocks, ditch the rear sway bar. Chances are that it has smacked against the rear passenger shock, leaving it completely ruined. If I were you, I would grab the Billsteins made for the 3" lift; they fit a stock X and if you do decide to get a lift later, you won't have to buy new shocks. The part numbers for the bills are on the site somewhere, and we get 5% off at shockwarehouse, and you'll probably get free shipping.

·
pics or it didnt happen
322 Posts
Not looking to "upgrade" right now
If your just lookin to change out your shot shocks until you can upgrade, I got a pair of Reflex OEM length ones you could have, about 5000 miles on um. As well as 1 OEM front shock with about 8000. Theyre never goin back on mine so if you want um there yours. And X2 on the swaybar delete, itll damage your right rear shock wether you wheel or not, my original one is proof of that.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Its easy to do the shocks. But if the bolts are really rusty you may have to burn out the rubber sleeves.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts