Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I havent been under my 02 yet and I havent worked on my own vehichle in years. First does this thing have shocks or struts in the front.and what problems might I have putting new ones on.

·
Registered
11 Posts
new shocks

I have an '03 and had new shocks put on yesterday at Tires Plus. There was a rebate on the NAPA Reflex shocks, basically get one free. In total, I spent just under 600, but will get 100 back. That doesn't totally answer your question since I didn't install myself, but hope it helps some.

·
Registered
28 Posts
They are shocks front and rear and cake to install. I just did mine tonight.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You can get high quality shocks online at a cheap price at places like jc whitney and they are super easy to replace yourself.

·
Sage Mentor/Moderator
12,216 Posts
Shocks front and back, and yeah, very easy swap.

If you want to improve performance off road, you need longer REAR than stock shocks.

The front ones are long enough as is, because its IFS, and the arms just travel up/down between the upper and lower bumpstops, no matter what...essentially the same travel. (Unless you also go to certain aftermarket UCA, etc...)

Shock Warehouse

http://www.shockwarehouse.com/?utm_...banner+link&utm_campaign=SW+-+Forums+-+Banner

Gives us a discount on shocks...so you can try there.

www.4x4parts.com

also has a good selection.

These are good sources, because most of the places just have OEM sizes, and if you want something else, YOU have to tell THEM what part # to send you instead, etc....or take pot luck, etc. :D

BTW - to the guy who paid ~ $500 for 4 shocks:

:laugh-big:

Thats $125/shock....holy moley, for NAPA?

That's about double what a GOOD set of shocks can be had for.

Hmmmm, its probably $100 worth of shocks, plus labor at $800/hr?

:wink-big:

Seriously...easy job, taking the front tires off helps...but its a few minutes per shock, one bolt at each end essentially.

The fronts have threaded posts on the tops, and eyes on the bottom.

The rears are double eyed.

--------------------------

Also - To make sure you know -

If you get the Bilstein HD or 5100's for the 3" lift kits...they FIT A STOCK X WITH NO LIFT TOO.

IE: You get the wheel travel of the 3" SL, at stock height, with no downside.

That way, if you DO get a lift one day, you do NOT need shaocks for it, you already HAVE them.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK thanks all great advice. I am a little puzzled though I called a Nissan dealer service center and asked and the guy said it had struts. I didnt think that was right but thought he would know. Weird huh?

·
Sage Mentor/Moderator
12,216 Posts
OK thanks all great advice. I am a little puzzled though I called a Nissan dealer service center and asked and the guy said it had struts. I didnt think that was right but thought he would know. Weird huh?
NOTHING out of a stealerships' mouth surprises me anymore.

:D

I have heard all SORTS of retarded crap over the years.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I'm no mechanic but I have had a lot of four wheel drives and was suprised so I asked him again if he was sure it had struts and said he was sheeeesh

·
Sage Mentor/Moderator
12,216 Posts
Yeah I'm no mechanic but I have had a lot of four wheel drives and was suprised so I asked him again if he was sure it had struts and said he was sheeeesh
If in doubt, just LOOK under your own truck.

It can answer a world of questions about what's under there.

·
Registered
71 Posts
bahaha im going to starts a shock installation company now that i know there are people out there that will pay that much to not do it themselves

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
The only thing that I can think of, is that he thought you had a second gen.

·
Registered
369 Posts
The shocks for trucks with a 3" lift I assume extend more giving more travel. So won't you need to put on some longer brake lines to make sure theres enough slack at full flex?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey guys I have a 02 X 2WD w/ a 5spd stick w/ 67k miles on it. I work in Mexico and travel back and forth everyday between US and Mex and so I am exposed to some very poor road conditions when in Mex. I have noticed my shocks are very "stiff” whenever i run into a "nice" Mexican pot hole. I have checked under the X and have noticed marks as if the truck is bottoming out whenever I hit these holes... my guess is my shocks are going to go soon, what brand would you recommend to replace my stock shocks with... I dont want to spend 800 USD to replace them! Ive done shock replacements before on my 80's 4Runner (sinch) and from looking at the X it is identical to the 80's style trucks Toyota made.

I have heard a lot on Bilstein, I want something that will stand up to the abuse i put my rig through every day.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
The only thing that I can think of, is that he thought you had a second gen.
Second gens don't have struts either. We have a double A-arm suspension just like the first gens, except we have a coilover shock instead of a torsion bar and shock. A strut assembly only has a lower control arm and the top of the steering knuckle connects directly to the bottom of the strut. This is a common arrangement on smaller, mostly front wheel drive, cars.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Hey guys I have a 02 X 2WD w/ a 5spd stick w/ 67k miles on it. I work in Mexico and travel back and forth everyday between US and Mex and so I am exposed to some very poor road conditions when in Mex. I have noticed my shocks are very "stiff” whenever i run into a "nice" Mexican pot hole. I have checked under the X and have noticed marks as if the truck is bottoming out whenever I hit these holes... my guess is my shocks are going to go soon, what brand would you recommend to replace my stock shocks with... I dont want to spend 800 USD to replace them! Ive done shock replacements before on my 80's 4Runner (sinch) and from looking at the X it is identical to the 80's style trucks Toyota made.

I have heard a lot on Bilstein, I want something that will stand up to the abuse i put my rig through every day.
At 67K miles, your shocks aren't going soon; they're already gone. Time for an upgrade. You've heard good things about Bilsteins for a reason. Check them out @ 4x4parts.com.

·
Registered
4 Posts
J,

Would you recommend any in particular? If I go with the 5100 Bils with a 3" lift will I need to get longer breaklines? Also is an Idler Arm Brace needed on the 2WD models?

·
Sage Mentor/Moderator
12,216 Posts
J,

Would you recommend any in particular? If I go with the 5100 Bils with a 3" lift will I need to get longer breaklines? Also is an Idler Arm Brace needed on the 2WD models?
The idler arm brace (IAB) is mostly to help if you have larger tires....and the lift amount is not really impacting this.

The stock brake lines are long enough for a 3" Suspension Lift, especially if you simply unclip the clips holding the brake lines, etc...let it go to full droop, and re-clip (Zip tie, etc...) the lines in the new shorter pathway.

Id didn't need longer brake lines until I installed Revolver shackles.

Adding longer shocks ALONE merely keeps the SHOCKS from being your limiting factor on wheel travel.

For most X's, the rear LEAVES are what ultimately limit travel...with longer SHACKLES allowing those leaves to bow/droop more...and an AAL, causing them to bow/droop less....and so forth.

IE: If you do not get a lift, but just get the SHOCKS for the lift...you will have more wheel travel, and a better ride...and not need to make any other changes.

If you are ALSO getting a lift, and/or larger tires, then other changes are made to compensate for that.

For rough roads (I drive a lot of those), the larger tires, with taller sidewalls, really help to cushion the ride, and make it a lot harder for a pot hole to pinch the sidewall against the rim, etc.

To mount larger tires, say 33" tall ones, a 2" Body Lift would give them room to go up/down and absorb a lot of road impacts for you.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Big issue here. My front shocks on my '08 S are smoked. Ordered some Old Man Emus, knowing they cost a crapton but have quite the reputation for being the toughest shocks out there. I went to put them in the other day, and I can't for the life of me get the nut or the bolt attaching the bottom of the shock to the LCA to move. Now, I'm a pretty big guy, but I couldn't even get it to budge, even after a thorough dousing of WD-40 (there was no PBB to be had at the time). I refuse to go to a garage, because I'm pretty sure that's what led to this. When I put the lift springs in, I took the lazy way and had Goodyear throw them in. I'm pretty sure some slackjaw there took an airwrench to the aforementioned bolt. Suggestions?

·
Registered
760 Posts
use an air wrench to get it off?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts