Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shocks are next on my list for maintenance / mods! I've made quite a bit of head way, I'm actually pretty proud of myself. I'm slowly making my way through the essentials.

So I've done some reading. I think I want Bilstein 4600 or 5100, right? My X is my DD but I also want to do some off roading this summer. I currently have NO lift but I want to get a 2" body lift done... eventually. I want to put on larger tires eventually. I'm not sure what other lifts I may want in the future.

These are what I'm looking at currently. Am I on the right track? Which series do I go for? Should I be looking for something else?

http://www.4x4parts.com/i-18981356-xterra-5100-series-bilstein-front-shock.html
http://www.4x4parts.com/i-18981369-xterra-5100-series-bilstein-rear-shock.html

http://www.4x4parts.com/i-18981369-xterra-5100-series-bilstein-rear-shock.html
http://www.4x4parts.com/i-18981417-xterra-heavy-duty-bilstein-rear-shock.html

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Yep you're on the right track. either 4600 or 5100 are great. I think the 5100s are a bit better. You're smart to get the 3" lift shocks regardless of what you're running right now. You can even get the rears for the articulator package and get a little more extended length.

I have the 4600s and they are great. Huge improvement and the best part is cornering was greatly improved.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep you're on the right track. either 4600 or 5100 are great. I think the 5100s are a bit better. You're smart to get the 3" lift shocks regardless of what you're running right now. You can even get the rears for the articulator package and get a little more extended length.

I have the 4600s and they are great. Huge improvement and the best part is cornering was greatly improved.
I just saw I linked the 5100 rear shocks twice. I see most people with the yellow and blue 4600 shocks. I definitely want to get whats best but I don't want to shop just by price. I wonder how much of an improvement the 5100s are...

The shocks made for 3" lift will give me more articulation / flex right? Are articulation and flex the same thing? lol

·
Registered
787 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pretty sure that's the same shock..? Lol not positive but if they are get the cheaper one! I have the 5100 Series in the rear and I love them. Great ride on road and provide great wheel travel offroad.
One is "Articulator Suspension Package" and one is "With 1-1/2" to 3" Suspension Lift" so not too sure.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The articulator suspension version are for those who have that lift set up (see suspension lift packages on AC). The 1.5-3" are the ones you want.
Awesome. Care chime in on any other mods or maintenance I may want to do in the immediate future? I crossed everything off my short list pretty quickly. Like I said, my X is my DD but I want to do a bit of off roading this summer.

So far I've done:

New Stereo
Oil change
Dipped Wheels / Plastics / Roof Rack
Removed Nerf Bars
Deleted Resonators
Deleted Rear Sway Bar
Had timing belt and all the stuff that goes with it replaced
New tires
Rear Diff Oil

To do:

Shocks (half way there now that I know what I want)
Tune up (wires, plugs, dist cap, rotor)
K&N Drop in air filter
Front diff oil, tranny & t case fluids
Maybe a 2" BL & larger tires at some point

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I run the articulaters in the rear for a reason. No revolvers needed. Be suprised on how much you use in shock travel if you set the rest of the rear up to use them. I know the specs on the 5100 series for the front that 4x4 parts sells have 3/8" more compression & 3/8" more extension. I already maxed that out to verify.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Yep articulator shocks fit without revolver shackles, no reason to not get them.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Just because AC hasn't tested those shocks with another suspension setup doesn't mean they won't work. TJTJ on here has tested the compressed and extended lengths and verified that they would work on a stock setup. Meaning they compress far enough to not limit uptravel (you don't want the shock as the limiting factor on compression, it will damage the shock). And obviously they extend plenty far for any setup you run.

But get what you feel comfortable with, by all means.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I put the articulater 5100s on mine when it was bone stock. The compression is just like stock. The extention is much better than stock. No reason to buy shocks twice if you plan on upgrading the suspension later on.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So I spoke with the guys at 4x4 Parts. They said the 3" Shocks would NOT fit on a stock suspension height in the rear, but it would in the front. They also said if I got a PML the 3" Shocks would fit however.

They also told me the only difference between the 4600 and 5100 is that one is zinc coated and one is not. Functionally they are the same.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Lol! PML does not limit up travel/compression. You do not extend the rear bumpstops when doing a PML. You were given incorrect information. There is more than just the zinc coating difference of the 5100 vs 4600.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
I guess if you choose to listen to the vendor, rather than those with direct experience, that's his choice. Will end up with an inferior product. Whatever. Won't waste my time again.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just saying what they told me man, just doing my due diligence and trying to gain more info, I don't have a ton of knowledge. I appreciate the advice you guys have given me thus far

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.