Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shaking / vibration in steering wheel, usually at 40mph+, I think balljoints, control arm bushings, wheel bearings, anything else ?
Happens on/off. I bought some used OEM UCAs and going to press in new moog balljoints, the bushings look like a pita. Thanks

·
Registered
525 Posts
If it’s only when applying the brakes then it’s going to be the rotors. If you feel the vibration change based on how hard you press the accelerator then suspect ujoints or driveline and if it shakes all the time then start will wheel balance

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Blackberry.
Going to check wheel balance first off, because it just shakes when going 40+ mph.

·
Registered
918 Posts
How old are the tires?
My Frontier started having some steering wheel shake so I took it in and had the wheels balanced. Got it back and it still did it. I tried rotating the tires and it stopped, but I still felt a little shimmy in the rear. Popped the rear wheels off and while I was rolling them across the driveway I noticed that one of the m was bouncing up and down. Turns out it had delaminated inside and I had a big bulge on the tread. I hadn't hit anything, but the tires were about 7 years old and were starting to dry rot. It was definitely time for a change. The odd thing is that the tire shop didn't catch this. It makes me wonder if they even bothered to do the work. At lest the "balancing" was covered under the lifetime balance program.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've been driving with shot upper and lower ball joints for a long time including towing a small trailer across country with a mediocre alignment. That said, I don't have any shaking problems including up to 80mph.

I would suspect tires as the first to look at.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK thank you Satito for your words of wisdom. The tires up front are uneven for sure, but I'm not sure how old they are.
G1SolarYell...long name lol thank you as well, I'm going to look into this.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
you should have tires rotated every 5k-10k miles and ablanced at least every other rotation or at least balance checked to keep wear even and ride smooth, with the xterra with a solid rear axkle and leaf springs revbalancing may be needed every rotation, my 2011 seems to need a rebalance every rotation after the ires have been on he rear and drug around corners by the front which can turn it seems to throw the balance off, even 1/4oz off on wheel balance and you can have steering wheel vibration usually at 40+ as you described usually ball joints and tie rods wont cause vibrations unless seriously worn and about completely fail you will usually notice sloppy steering response, poor alignment holding and popping when turning if these are bad, i see you said you bought used uca's i would advise against buying any used suspension parts ever, ya might save you a dime now but will cost you a dollar later

Reactions: Satito

·
Registered
105 Posts
Tires first then shock absorbers Shocks do a lot for these high center vehicles, even help reduce tire wear; body roll and nose dive.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Tires first then shock absorbers Shocks do a lot for these high center vehicles, even help reduce tire wear; body roll and nose dive.
yup, especially if over 75k miles are on the shocks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts