Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there - I'm happy to report that I am searching for an Xterra, & hoping you all will help! I had an '05 SE 4x4, but had to sell a few years ago when I filed bankruptcy. :crying: BUT I am now convinced, after driving an '02 God-awful white Santa Fe for 5 years (though, I did push it to 184k w/very few issues, so for that I am thankful!), that nothing but another Xterra will do!

Unfortunately, I discovered the 2003 Atomic Orange in research and, as one of my 2 favorite colors, I am dying to have one! But I would really like a 4x4 and I would really like it to be a stick (I think). Of course I'd also like it to have a sunroof, a good sound system, a tow hitch, black wheels, & a 3" lift, but that would be my absolute DREAM vehicle.

Considering how scarce the orange ones are, can you tell me...is this just a pipe dream? And, if I can't get that, should I consider a 2005 or later model? What do you think of the manual vs automatic transmission? Note, I am not a super-serious off-roader, but there are some awesome nooks & crannies out here in Arizona that I'd love to explore!

I'm currently considering "settling" for an Atomic Orange 2wd automatic that a dealer found on the Manheim auction site, but I'm finding it difficult to purchase a vehicle w/o actually TOUCHING it first (& checking it out, of course).

I sure would appreciate any and all advice: good, bad or ugly...thanks! :)

·
Sage Mentor/Moderator
12,216 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
What tJ said. Don't get a 2wd like I did then wish you had 4wd and then spend money to convert it to 4wd. It'll be easier to hold out tell you find the one you want. I wasn't able to stick it out and wait. I had to get something quick when I got mine so I had to settle.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ahahaha "unicorn status" - THAT'S funny, but spot on! Thank you both VERY much for responding so quickly, and strengthening my resolve to stick with the hunt of my Atomic "Dreamsicle" X. Anyone feel free to pipe up at any time! :D

·
Registered
62 Posts
I bought my Xterra because it was a manual. I'd have it no other way! If you even THINK you might want the stick, get it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dr99, you sound like my boyfriend! ;) And it's HIS fault that I even KNOW about the elusive 2003-only Atomic Orange X! LOL But, yes, I go back and forth with that...especially since, according to this one site I found (gtcarlot.com), only 5.2% of the 2003 Xterras were manual, and only 2.3% of the 2003s were Atomic Orange. Now, I'm no rocket scientist, but I'd say the odds of me finding an Atomic Orange stick are pretty damn slim! :/

·
Sage Mentor/Moderator
12,216 Posts
Dr99, you sound like my boyfriend! ;) And it's HIS fault that I even KNOW about the elusive 2003-only Atomic Orange X! LOL But, yes, I go back and forth with that...especially since, according to this one site I found (gtcarlot.com), only 5.2% of the 2003 Xterras were manual, and only 2.3% of the 2003s were Atomic Orange. Now, I'm no rocket scientist, but I'd say the odds of me finding an Atomic Orange stick are pretty damn slim! :/
However, the odds of you being able to PAINT whatever you get Atomic Orange is closer to 100%.

·
Registered
20 Posts
There are currently 3 Atomic Orange Nissan Xterra 4X4s for sale here in Colorado. Funny I just got back from Phoenix last week. If you need a test driver, I can help you out, and create a video while on site. I have been looking for a bright blue one, but found a silver one, but damn, the price is unbeatable.

Better hurry if you want me to look, they get sold within hours over here.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There are currently 3 Atomic Orange Nissan Xterra 4X4s for sale here in Colorado. Funny I just got back from Phoenix last week. If you need a test driver, I can help you out, and create a video while on site. I have been looking for a bright blue one, but found a silver one, but damn, the price is unbeatable.

Better hurry if you want me to look, they get sold within hours over here.
THREE?! I think I've seen one on the web, but it's an automatic. Any of them stick? Yes, the silver ones seem to be a dime a dozen. I think I saw a blue one on CL in...California? San Diego area, maybe? That one tempted me...

Thanks for your offer, too! :) That gives me an idea, as I am looking at a 2002 w/only 95K miles in VA which has everything I want (except the lift) BUT it's Alpine Green. Not a ganga price (it's at a dealer) but 1 owner (military, I think) and low mileage, but I'll want an independent mechanic, OR a super-savvy X aficionado, to check it out before I commit, so how would I find someone on this site that's close to where that vehicle is that could maybe recommend an honest mechanic?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Maroon? I want some of whatever they're smokin'! ;) Yes, it IS a great color - looks like the Sedona Metallic - a burnt orange kinda. Thank you!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Still searching...

Kudos, tjax! Leading by example is the only way to go! :)

No, Akuria, not yet! Was contemplating an Alpine Green in VA, but it's a dealer & they just want too damn much for it. Currently contemplating a Solar Yellow in WY, private party, but he's waiting for the highest bidder and he really wants $7,500 (with a cracked windshield & a tiny bit of rust on a couple door/hatch edges)! I'm not looking to rip anyone off, or even a ganga, but I would like to stick close to KBB - with allowances, of course, for improvements. I HAVE decided to go with [almost] any color that is 4x4 & stick, but I still must have a good gut feeling about it. :nerd:

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
Yeah. I wouldn't pay over 6k for a first gen X myself. I'd definitely go with whatever color comes with the specs and price you want. You can always change the color. You can't always change the specs and price.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Cool, good to know! Unless it's ALSO Atomic Orange. In that case I'm afraid of what I'm willing to pay. LOL Thanks for the continued guidance! :)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts