Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, and not only did it smoke like a mosquito fogger out of the tail pipe, but the smoke also escaped in abundance from somewhere on the passenger side of the engine. I couldn't really tell where exactly it was coming from. Is that a sign of a cracked manifold or bad manifold gasket?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Today, and not only did it smoke like a mosquito fogger out of the tail pipe, but the smoke also escaped in abundance from somewhere on the passenger side of the engine. I couldn't really tell where exactly it was coming from. Is that a sign of a cracked manifold or bad manifold gasket?
Most likely a cracked manifold. Take a spray bottle with soapy water and spray it on the manifold then start the car. I bet you see a lot of bubbles. The cracks were pretty visible on mine as well.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Unless its making noises no. Mine have been crack since i bought it at 146k miles. Its now rolling 183k still sounds the same no check engine lights or anything. Now if it gets bad i read something about it throwing o2 sensors off not too sure but mine make a little bit of a noise but nothing thats anoying cant even hear it with the windows up.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Assuming that the manifold is cracked, any particular benefit in replacing it?
You run the risk of damaging your exhaust valves. Some people never see it, some do. You're also letting pre-catalyst gasses out which can get sucked into the cabin airflow.

You can get a Dorman replacement from autozone for cheap. It's not as good as the redesigned nissan part but should last a few years depending on how much you drive. Install isn't bad either on the passenger side.

·
Premium Member
8,525 Posts
You run the risk of damaging your exhaust valves. Some people never see it, some do. You're also letting pre-catalyst gasses out which can get sucked into the cabin airflow.

You can get a Dorman replacement from autozone for cheap. It's not as good as the redesigned nissan part but should last a few years depending on how much you drive. Install isn't bad either on the passenger side.
I think one of the biggest causes of ex manifold cracking is oil leaking from valve cover on to ex manifold.If you dont fix it you have early cat problems.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.