Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a week ago I did the seafoam procedure where you unhook the vacuum hose and feed the engine 1/3 a bottle of seafoam. A couple of days ago I got the check engine soon light and it was a p0300 random cylinder missfire and a knock sensor code. I read it could be related to the vacuum hose so I checked it and it seems fine. I erased the codes and it was fi e for a day until I got the p0300 code again today of the ride home. Any idea what could be causing it?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is it normal to give the p0300 code as that means there are random misfires not a specific plug or cylinder? Power feels about the same but I am planning on replacing the cv axles and ball joints and dont want to sink money into a truck with a dying engine. It am sitting at 215000 kms and i have had it for about a month.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Firstly id change all the plugs with oem ngk plugs. 1 being because mechs that are lazy dont change #6 plug because its a pain in the anoos to get to. 2nd thing if that doesnt work would be wires which i think you should be doing cap rotor wires and plugs. i got all that on amazon for 46 bucks. and 2 hours of time but 1 hour was me getting mad and yelling at the #6 plug lol. And sea foam is an oil. It most likely fouled your plugs which if it happened right after seafoam is almost a dead giveaway. And you dont wanna put money into a dying engine at 215ks lol thats 130k miles pssh you got another 200 easily if you change the timing belt when it needs to be changed. mines fixing to be pushing 190k miles or 305ks and not a single drop of oil is burnt and im still hitting rev limiter donuts in the rain.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
OK plugs it is. I have them sitting around because I bought them for my other vehicle so really not much cost for me just time. They are the ngk iridium platinum as I picked them up for my Ifiniti and gave up on that.

·
Registered
621 Posts
They are the correct plugs right? Erm not all spark plugs are the same so assuming it had the same motor than go for it. But the are different in many many ways. 1 being the gap.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just look on ngks website and the supercharged has different plugs. OK well I will start there. Thanks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I ordered the cables and the plugs from a place on line here. Hopefully it is a good fix. I also didn't have the Service light to pop on during my drive to work(15 minutes).

·
Registered
621 Posts
A fouled plug can fix itself sometimes but it's still a good idea to get plugs. In which you did. If you plan on doing it yourself I suggest you look up how to take #6 plug out. It's not hard to figure out how. It's just you need to see where and the position it's in. Towards the back and kinda inwards. You need a extension and a swivel socket. Some diys have better procedures on doing it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I used the seafoam trick before on a mazda, no issues. Smoked pretty good. Normally before doing that, I would run a strong dose through the fuel first. The cleaning action isn't as strong as just dumping it in the vacuum line. I wouldn't classify seafoam as an "oil" though. It is petroleum based and has a very light oil in it. If I had to compare it, I would say way less than a person uses in their string trimmer, by far less. I've had seafoam clear up misfires but never cause them. But, if your engine was really dirty...

·
Registered
621 Posts
Yeah its made of pale oil naptha and ipa. pale oil is very similar to a machine oil. I mean its light but gotta accomidate all the other junk in there too and mixing together and probably getting thicker mixing with all the oil. Just sayin anyways. But #6 plug usually isnt changed by lazy mechs and well could very well be the problem. I ran sea foam through my x with a fresh tune up and found my plugs where pretty nasty looking after wards. Cause i was curious but i didnt have the probs.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Still waiting on the plugs to arrive. It has been a week and it hasn't thrown a code yet. I am wondering if it just had to work it's way through the seafoam and any carbon that was cleaned off.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So it has been a while but I changed wires and plugs and did not have a p0300 for 2 weeks. I just got one after driving for about an hour through the city with lots of starts stops and idling. Should I look at the distributor and bearing next?

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
I bet the sea foam had nothing to do with your code, you think it does because it happened afterwards.
Did you put a new rotor and distributor cap on it?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts