Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently performed some maintenance and a resonator delete on my new/used 2004 Xterra SE/XE V6 3.3L automatic. Now I'm having the following symptoms:

- RPMs bounce/rev from 1k to 2k about 3 or 4 times on the initial startup, then settle around 1.5k (seems high) and doesn't drop to 1k until I put it in gear.
- It starts rolling/accelerating rather quickly as soon as I release the brake without touching the accelerator.
- A few times I noticed the RPMs bouncing/revving (like when it starts up) while coasting downhill around 40 or 50 mph.
- Around 35 mph if I touch the accelerator it jerks/jolts forward and then jolts/jerks back when I release. I can't smoothly engage the accelerator, but it seems to only happen around that speed and mostly when going downhill. If I'm taking off from stationary or at a higher speed, the accelerator doesn't display this sensitivity.
- I haven't confirmed yet, but it appears my fuel economy has plummeted. Need to drive it more today to determine for sure.
- Occasionally while accelerating, it seems to stay in a lower gear and really run the RPMs high before switching to the next gear.

This is the maintenance/mods I recently completed:
- Oil/filter change. The oil was filthy so I changed it with Mobil 1 Longlife synthetic with matching filter and a Seafoam treatment.
- Added Seafoam to the current tank of gas.
- Coolant flush using distilled water. The coolant that was in there was dirty brown, like not even a hint of green.
- New distributor cap, rotor, wires, and iridium spark plugs. The previous plugs were absolutely filthy when I pulled them. There was sand and dirt all over the threads of 3 of them. After removing each plug I cleaned the well and threads with a rag, vacuumed and then cranked the engine with one plug removed at a time to blast out any debris that fell inside. Side note: removing that 6th plug was probably the biggest exercise in patience and persistence I have ever endured, but I digress...
- Removed all 3 resonators and put in a K&N lifetime filter.
- Cleaned the mass airflow sensor with CRC MAF Cleaner.
- Cleaned the throttle body and throttle wires with CRC Throttle Body Cleaner. I didn't remove the whole throttle body face. I just pulled the airbox tube, sprayed inside, and scrubbed what I could with a toothbrush. It was absolutely filthy in there as well and I know I didn't even come close to getting it completely clean. I used the full contents of the small 5 oz can. I'm thinking of buying another large can and giving the throttle body a complete cleaning.
- I also added new cabin air filters because it seems to have never had filters in there previously. The slot was filled with leaves and debris. I blew/vacuumed it all out.

I should say that after doing all of this, I've seen an improvement in power but the RPM (and potential fuel economy) issues have me concerned. I should also mention that I'm a total novice regarding cars and have only recently gotten into it (already feeling pretty hooked though :)

Any tips, suggestions, or insight is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From what I've now read it looks like I need to perform an idle relearn procedure. This is common after cleaning the throttle body and disturbing the butterfly. But I've really only found consistent instructions for 2nd gen Xterras.

Anyone know the process for an idle relearn on 1st gen?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts