Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello new to this forum just picked my mom up a Nissan x and she loves it ! Noticing off the lot it has a bit of a rough idle and start though? The shops being slow to get it in to look at it, it's at 162km the plugs seemed to be fine all the fluids are fresh brand new timing belt just hoping for opinions thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Somewhat of the same problem with my 2001 SE (V6 SE 3.3). INitial morning start it idles fine (when idle is a bit higher than normal). Once it is warmed up and idles there are random 'jolts' as if there's a loose wire somewhere making contact with the engine (or something?). If I bring it up above 1K idle the 'jolts' disappear. Shifting in to neutral sometimes makes it better, but is still noticeable. Plug wires are good - I believe the plugs are good - fluids all OK.

Idle Air Control Valve possibly needs to be replaced/cleaned?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Y'all might have a minor timing issue; it can be adjusted using a timing light and adjusting your distributor. A Haynes manual explains it in detail, but if you need instructions, I can help. A timing light is about $30 at harbor freight or you might be able to borrow one from Autozone. While you're at Autozone, you might get them to check the codes. Even if you're not getting a service engine soon (SES) light, it could be a TPS issue. Again, the Haynes will help with that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ahhh I'm gunna Lean towards that as the timing belt was replaced 7k ago and there may be a small issue with it thanks for the input

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a 2002 XE. Had a very rough idle when i was in gear and at a stop, then went away when shifting into park or neutral, or when above 1000 rpm. I started with the smallest thing I could think of (before trying to tackle something big like timing). Try cleaning the throttle plate. Could be dirty/clogged up with build up. Thoroughly cleaning my throttle plate got rid of my rough idle completely.
Hope that can help you too!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts