Nissan XTerra Forum banner

Rough idol rough start check engine

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Satito 
#1 ·
Okay guys I need some help a few months ago I took my 2000 Nissan Xterra nickname the canary for its yellow color to the mechanic shop to replace the gaskets on the covers of the engine because it was leaking oil from that point on my truck started running rough during idle I took it to another shop where they replace the spark plugs the wires spark plug wires and the distributor cap since then I've also replaced the oxygen sensor from the engine the check engine light stays on and I also replaced the air intake hose because it was torn but my truck when cold starts up incredibly rough to where I have to accelerated to get it up to the number one on the RPM meter and once it gets moving it runs rough for a little while the check engine light flashes and then it quits doing it but it runs rough during idle and the other day when I had to take my kid to take an exam for the private school that he's going to go to I had a hard time getting it up to speed going uphill struggling to get to 2000 RPMs and when my foot wasn't on the accelerator I could feel the truck pulling I know I change the timing belt on it as well but this is a consistent issue with my truck and I've had a consistent shrieking sound that stays around for awhile when it starts up I've used sprays to try to lubricate the belt and the pulley system that'll work for a little bit but after a day or two it starts shrieking again guys I need some help so I can figure this out I would appreciate any and all help and advise if you guys can give me I'm going on two decades with my beloved Canary and I spent more money on him trying to fix him in these last couple of months then what I spent in the last type 10 years on just basic maintenance alone trying to get them fixed I appreciate all the help thanks guys

See less See more
#3 ·
Yep. Please list what codes are coming up. There are a bunch of things that can cause your problem. The codes will help us trim down the list of things to check.

As for the squealing belts. It's possible that the issue is not the belt, but that you have a worn pulley. Is there something that makes the squealing worse such as turning the AC on?

#6 ·
If you go in to clean the fuel injectors be sure to change out the valve cover gaskets while you're in there. You may also want to inspect the coolant lines and perhaps change out the bypass hose that comes off the top of the thermostat housing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.