Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '02 X S/C the other week my wife was driving the X and it died on her after shuttering at a stop light. I went to check it out and noticed that the #5 ignition wire boot had been chewed on ( acorn where everywhere also) and the bracket was exposed. We got it back to the house. I changed out the ignition wires and still runs rough when in gear then dies. I had the distr cap ignition wires and plugs all replaced 20,000 mi ago. As well as the timing belt and fuel system, exhaust manifolds and gaskets and trans flush. Took it to autozone no code has been thrown and the MIL has not come on. At a lost for ideas on what the issue is. I did wonder if the could be excess gas stopping the #5 plug from firing correctly. It does drive for about an 1/8th mi before i have to shut it down or let it die. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I would bet other things got chewed, but have no guesses as to what. Did you replace all of the wires?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
chewed

Yes I changed the rest of the wires as well as the chewed one. From what I can see nothing else has been chewed on or worn out. I have looked all around the engine top, bottom and side to side with wheels removed. I am going to change to rest of the spark plugs. then see if that helps.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
check the wires that plug into the distributor to give it power follow them all the way back to where they run, they may have gotten chewed on. check your battery ground cable at its ground point on the frame and all grounds that run to engine block. but any wire could have gotten chewed and screw the whole truck up.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haha

Well thanks for the advice but i found the problem. There was acorn debris around the plug. So my guess is the ignition wire i replaced was never sitting on the plug correctly. So today I am going to remove the supercharger and see if I can't see it better and get in there to clear the debris. Again thanks for all the advice I will update with any other info.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Stupid acorns.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok still runs rough

Well I guess I did not solve the problem. I replaced all of the spark plugs after cleaning all of the acorn mess up. Check to make sure all plugs were tight and wires snug and tightly connected to the plugs. put my S/C intake back on and she ran fine. All day sunday drove around 3 times for first for 10min the 15 min then ran a few errand s 30 min. Wife dorve it to work Monday and it was fine till she was about a block away. I tried to drive it home but kept stalling. It would not let me get the rpms past 2k. and when I stomped on it the rpms dropped. Finally I gave up. I disconnected the battery and reset it. I am going to try and get it home tonight when I pick up the misses. any help is appreciated if anyone is still listening.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Today's drive

Um check inside the intake box. Like you may have sucked a squirrel up in the intake...fur and acorn junk tends to mess up the MAF sensor readings...

TAKE PICS OF WHAT YOU FIND IN THERE!!!
I took apart the air intake, when I changed out the spark plugs and checked for any clogs. I am going to clean the MAF as soon as I get it home.

I tried to drive the rest of the way home today and made almost there, till it just stalled and would not go anymore. The rpms were fluctuating between 500 and 2000 the whole drive and had to let it coast above idle most of the way. It stalled every time I had to stop at a light. To get it going I would start it the put it drive and hit the accelerator as fast as possible. Thinking that the problem is the distributor.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Driving home

Ok yesterday almost got the X home. Today I made it home. it drove like crap and stalled twice. The second stall I put in neutral started it again. The SES light turned off and it started running fine. No shaking or jerking or jumping. So I drove the other 50 ft to the house with no probs. Was wondering If this could still be the distributor? Any help would be appreciated.

P.S. Thanks for the help from everyone so far.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dizzy

Yep as soon as I pulled the old one I could here rattling in it. I am hearing a slight humming noise (sounds like the starter) when the ignition is in the on position right before I start her. Is this normal?

I made sure the engine was at TDC and the made sure the rotor was sitting just a mm in front of the #1 plug wire position in the cap allowing for timing and crank. Pretty simple it only goes in one way it seems.

Thanks for the help everyone!!

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Sometimes it can be challenging to diagnose car problems over the internet. Assuming you reinstalled your rotor, cap, plugs and plug wires correctly and it still runs like crap, I would do a couple of things:

Have a friend come over and take a look under the hood. Sometimes a different pair of eyes might see something you missed. I think you are on the right track, though.

It's possible you have two unrelated problems. Perhaps contaminated fuel? Clogged fuel filter? How's your battery voltage?

·
Registered
560 Posts
Sooo you did put in a new dizzy? and all is well?

The noise in the ON position should just be the fuel pump priming usually. Nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dizzy

Yep as soon as I pulled the old one I could here rattling in it. I am hearing a slight humming noise (sounds like the starter) when the ignition is in the on position right before I start her. Is this normal?

I made sure the engine was at TDC and the made sure the rotor was sitting just a mm in front of the #1 plug wire position in the cap allowing for timing and crank. Pretty simple it only goes in one way it seems.

Thanks for the help everyone!!
Hi did you fix the problem I'm having the same problem with my X any help will be appreciated

·
Registered
494 Posts
Hi did you fix the problem I'm having the same problem with my X any help will be appreciated
Note: You are likely to get some response if you start your own post providing all the details related to your vehicle and the problem you are having. Hitch hiking on a post from 2013 doesn't usually get good results....if any.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts