Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey ya'll. Had a nice vacation recently but came back to some trouble with my Xterra.

2003 Xterra V6 3.3 - Standard transmission, not supercharged 2WD. 243000miles

When I first came back a friend who had been driving it said the battery died a couple times and he had to get it jumped. Said the last time he jumped it the check engine light started flashing on the way home. Unfortunately he thought it was a good idea to drive it for two more days. He may have also put in a quart too much oil over the course of a couple months, just to be sure I drained a quart out and now dipstick is reading good. Anyway, I got a new battery for it, and now it starts good every time, however the SES light comes on and flashes. Checked the codes and they were.

1. Knock 1 sensor circuit high bank 1 or single sensor
2. Air intake temperature sensor 1 circuit low
4. Cylinder 4 misfire

So, I thought I would start by changing out the spark plug 4 just to see where to go from there. Found oil on the old one (on the threads). The truck doesn't leak oil. Previous owner said he fixed the valve cover gasket and it was leaking before, so was thinking maybe the oil on the plug was from then. Anyway put the new plug in and codes went away till I drove the truck for awhile. Then all the codes came back and even a 'misfire cylinder 3.'

Truck drives pretty good, just looses a bit of power sometimes, the misfire I guess. Also theres a bit more noise than healthy in the exhaust pipe below the centre console and sometimes a smell of gas when I start it, also a bit of smoke randomly out the exhaust.

My question is where do I go from here guys? Change all spark plugs? Distributor cap, wires, distribuitor, Cats?? I mean considering the milage and age I don't want to get going down a never ending path of repairs. My goal is to have the truck up and running healthy but not go nuts and try to make everything perfect. I can do some myself but to a limit. Any help is much appreciated for this weekend warrior.

Thanks!

·
Registered
03 XE A/T, SC coming soon
839 Posts
You should never change one plug. Especially on a vehicle with that mileage. Put a matching set of plugs in and see if it runs better. Knock sensor is not a concern and will not turn the engine light on. The air intake sensor can be addressed after it runs properly as I don’t think this will have a huge impact. Definitely not to set a single cylinder misfire.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction! I did the wires, all the plugs, distributor cap and rotor. She no longer has any of the above issues. Been running good. The other codes (knock and intake) are still coming up, but shes running fine for now. Might just be a sensor issue. Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts