Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys
Gettin ready to remove and repaint my entire roof rack and apply my new custom grahics from Creepy at GRAVEYARD GRAPHICS (they are BADASS!)
A friend of mine said to use tractor paint....... Ive never heard of this and wondering if any of you have.
Also, ANY Tips would be greatly appreciated on primer, sanding,painting, taking it apart or any other advice!!!
I am painting it Matte Black to match my new wheels.
Thanks

· Registered
787 Posts
Tractor paint? Never heard of that lol I just used a Rustoelum matte black spray paint for mine. Took off the rack, washed it, sanded it, wiped it down with rubbing alcohol, and paint. If I could go back I would use a primer before painting, but its held up great so I guess no harm no foul!

Some people like to use Rustoelum's spray-on bedliner too. I used that on my corner pieces, grille, headlight housing, and front and rear bumper. All of these have also held up fairly well and I used the same process mentioned above.

· Registered
176 Posts
I just did mine today with plasitidip and didn't take the rails off because some of the bolts were frozen off. I know it's gonna have to be redone but I had cans I had left over I wanted to get rid of so I decided to use it. Next time I'll hit the bolts with some pb blaster and let is sit and get them off and do it right.

Personally, I'll probably do em in bed liner next time. It seems to last longer and it doesn't require priming.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info Squiz
I will post pics when I am done
Thinking of doing the corner caps in the Hammered finish black paint
Still unsure and a little nervous!
Anyone use air paint gun instead of rattle can spray paint?

· Registered
787 Posts
LOL!! Yeah, that tractor paint thing kinda made me laugh! Any trouble taking the rack apart and putting it back together?
I may try the spray on bedliner idea though. Any pics of yours?
Not at all. You should have a "Rack Tool" in the truck under the carpet; sprayed the bolts with some WD40 (or PB Blaster), used the tool, and had no issues.

As for some pictures, check out my build thread in my signature. Should be on page 3 :D

· Registered
787 Posts
Anyone use air paint gun instead of rattle can spray paint?
Have you painted with a rattle can before? Its actually not as difficult as many think.

1. Be sure to shake the can well, every time, before spraying
2. Painting in warmer weather works best
3. Spray paint about a foot away from object
4. 1st coat should be fairly light, 2nd coat a little heavier, 3rd and 4th+ (if needed) can be heavy

Note: Don't go it too heavy or the paint will run and the end product won't look as clean

Hope that helps!

· Registered
176 Posts
Super easy to paint with a rattle can. However, my finger and hand were sore for a few days after lol. Only reason I've used plastidip is because it's only $5 a can. I used two cans for the rails. +1 for starting light. First coat will just be a light dusting really. It starts looking good by the third coat. More coats the better. I think I ended up doing about six.

I didn't have the tool Thompson is talking about, but it's just torx screws all the way around. I'll post a pic up of how mine came out tomorrow.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Awesome! Thanks for all the info. I think I will stick to using the rattle cans of bedliner spray simply b/c I am Not familiar with plasti dip and how long it lasts or its durability.
Btw cool pics ThompsonXterra!!!
That looks wicked!!!
I also got cool rail decals from Creepy with Orange "X" and silver metallic "terra". And wind dam "NISSAN" in Orange custom font! Cant wait!
Thanks again! It really SHOULD stand out in my town of Blacksburg Virginia! !! NO HOKIE colors!!!! Lol . Since I am from Bama and a die hard Auburn Tigers fan! War Eagle!
Thanks again!

· Registered
176 Posts
I guess I'll find out. I've heard two years or so, but I believe the bedliner is much more durable as well. The plastidip can come off so if you're actually loading stuff on the rails it'll probably come off much sooner. Bed liner is definitely the way to go. I peeled the old Nissan decal off the air dam because it was in bad shape, I should pick some new ones up too. Post pics when you got it all done!

· Registered
248 Posts
Tractor paint? perhaps it was supposed to be "traction" paint like bedliner. I would love to do this but have held off due to the horror stories I have heard with the bolts being seized and then coming out with the threaded part that is supposed to stay in the roof. I may spray the heck out of it 3-4 days straight to be on the safe side before I try to undo them.

Let us know how it works out for you and end product pictures.

· Registered
2,287 Posts
Rustoleoum bedliner. Clean all the parts, and leave the decals on. Spray the entire roof rack. Remove the painted over decals, giving you a nice reverse logo effect.

4 years later...still looks great. No real issues with the removal for me.

4 years later

· Registered
248 Posts
Can't believe no one has heard of tractor paint...its typically a heavy duty enamel paint used for painting implements and farm machinery. http://www.majicpaints.com/tractor-supply-co/

Many makers of tractor paint out there. Valspar, majic, etc. Search YouTube and Google. Many people have painted cars with it over the years with pretty good results actually.
Not a farmer and never had a tractor which is why I probably have not heard of it. Does not sound like a common paint though. Might have to check it out.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.