Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering the Smittybilt Overlander, does anyone have this? Is anyone running something similar that they would recommend?

If so, are you mounting to the stock rack? Is set-up really as quick and easy as they claim? I'll be spending about a week every month up in Wyoming for work this year. My per-diem would pay for one of these pretty quick.

http://www.smittybilt.com/overlander

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No one?! Someone here has to use their truck as more than a mall crawler... ;)

·
Registered
382 Posts
I rock a hatch tent. i looked at roof tents but like being able to leave the tent up and make my run into town or down the trail.
and it was much cheaper...

·
Registered
90 Posts
There's typically called Roof Top Tents, or RTT for short. There's a fair amount of X owners with them, and I've seen a few myself which are probably aren't on any forums. One guy looked like he was living out of his at a marina last summer.

I've had the X for almost 8 years, and I've had my RTT for almost as long. I really like it, but it's not everyone's cup of tea. Part for the price, the other is that it incapacitates the truck when it's setup. It's fine if your single, but if you've got a significant other, truck mobility sometimes needs to be somewhat important. That being the case, I built a trailer last year to remedy that downfall.

·
Registered
50 Posts
There's typically called Roof Top Tents, or RTT for short. There's a fair amount of X owners with them, and I've seen a few myself which are probably aren't on any forums. One guy looked like he was living out of his at a marina last summer.

I've had the X for almost 8 years, and I've had my RTT for almost as long. I really like it, but it's not everyone's cup of tea. Part for the price, the other is that it incapacitates the truck when it's setup. It's fine if your single, but if you've got a significant other, truck mobility sometimes needs to be somewhat important. That being the case, I built a trailer last year to remedy that downfall.

Yo that is badass! Lol

·
Registered
90 Posts
To each their own.

Actually I should mention, for into on RTT's, check out Expedition Portal, there's gobs of information in regards to anything off-road and gear for travelling, with a section just for RTT's
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/forums/138-Roof-Top-Tents-and-Awnings

and also a Nissan section
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/forums/43-Nissan

I tend to hand out around the trailer section. But here's some beautiful pics that jhberria (Josh) just posted in his thread just yesterday

·
Registered
140 Posts
Anyone have a pic of what it looks like inside the tent? Wanna get an idea of how much room is actually in there.

·
Registered
176 Posts
To each their own.

Actually I should mention, for into on RTT's, check out Expedition Portal, there's gobs of information in regards to anything off-road and gear for travelling, with a section just for RTT's
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/forums/138-Roof-Top-Tents-and-Awnings

and also a Nissan section
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/forums/43-Nissan

I tend to hand out around the trailer section. But here's some beautiful pics that jhberria (Josh) just posted in his thread just yesterday

I've never actually used one. How is the set up compared to a regular tent?

·
Registered
90 Posts
It`s hard to compare. To put it on the roof you need 2 people. It`s not heavy, only 100lbs, but just awkward. For the camping setup, there`s no comparison with how easy it is. No need to look for good ground with no rocks or lumps, or cleaning it from twigs; you just need to find level ground and park. To setup it up, you need to just undo the 2 velcro for the straps that go overtop to keep the cover from ballooning. Then you unzip the cover, which goes 3/4 the way around, and after you remove the cover, there`s 2 more velcro straps that keep it folded down. Grab and extend the ladder and pull and it`s open. If you just want to hit the hay at this point, and you kept your bedding inside, you can just crawl in and crash. You`re pretty much talking in minutes here. The only things left are to insert the side rods to keep the flaps open; 4 sides, 4 rods. I`ll do just the front usually in the case that it`s just a quick setup, but you can also do it from while your inside the tent if you don`t want to be outside in the rain and crawling on the truck to get those. It can be recommended, since they`re waterproof, and it`s humid, it can condensate inside, so some airflow is usually a good idea.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Anyone have a pic of what it looks like inside the tent? Wanna get an idea of how much room is actually in there.
It's hard to show in pics to be honest. Size wise, it's plenty for two. You can get them larger, and I'm not sure if it varies between companies. Mines 56" wide, so sits between a double (53") and a queen (60"). Length is a plenty 96". Height is plenty to be on your knees inside.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the info guys!

Any issues with fitting it onto the stock racks? (I have a Frontier but the factory racks are similar).

·
Registered
90 Posts
Just longer bolts. It does fit the Frontier rack, almost just, but does. That's the track that's on my trailer. It's not uncommon for people to put a rack and mount them in the bed.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just longer bolts. It does fit the Frontier rack, almost just, but does. That's the track that's on my trailer. It's not uncommon for people to put a rack and mount them in the bed.

Thanks, I've got a fiberglass topper and use the bed for hauling gear. I also don't trust a fiberglass shell to hold the weight of the tent plus a 180lb male and a 120lb female having rigorous sex inside.

Truck top it is!

·
Registered
90 Posts
You can, it just depends if it's a good quality one that can do the job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efu6tImdP-I

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/118431-Roof-top-tent-on-tacoma-leer-cap

Ya mine's on a tonneau cover, and it could probably hold the weight. I was surprised at how strong it was to be honest. But I needed to modify it to mount the OEM roof rack to it, and in the end, the tent sits on supports that on the metal frame on the underside, so the tonneau cover bears no weight from the RTT

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I went with the Overlander.

It's cheaply built and I don't anticipate it lasting long BUT... 4wheelparts.com gave me a 5 year no questions asked warranty for $90 :)... So when it breaks, as it surely will, FREE REFILLS!

Attachments

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update;

Very useful and the chicks dig it. However, expect -5 MPG.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Update;

Very useful and the chicks dig it. However, expect -5 MPG.
No kidding, its like the least aerodynamic thing you could possibly put on your vehicle. Just like mounting a brick wall up top.

You could probably build a fiberglass deflector with a long angle that can mount in front of it. I think thats something that should come with it.

But no way it beats sleeping inside the X for comfort, warmth or coolness.

Heavy warming curtains keep the cold out, and screens let the air through better than that.

The only roof tent I'd consider getting would have to have giant window screens on all 4 sides and the roof, and both sides of the roof can roll up completely, screen and all. Just so you can get the feeling of sitting in an open truck bed and watching the stars at night,while still having the inside of the X

Or maybe just an all-screen tent with roll-up roof. That'd lay super flat on top, and probably only take up half the roof

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.