Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So now that my 2 inch body lift and PML is complete, I need to order wheels and tires. I was originally going to put 33x12.5 on the X with stock rims which I believe are 5.5 inch back space. I test mounted one at a tire shop and found with the 5.5 backspace it rubs a bit when the wheel is at full turn on the bracket on the frame that protects the fuel lines.

I decided I want to get away from the stock wheel look and I am looking at 33x12.5 inch wranger duratracs and I want to mount them on 15 x 8 wheels with 4.5 inch back space. That should pull the wheels away from the frame a bit correct? Will 4.5 inch backspace require any metal trimming, im not worried about plastic. What about 3.75? Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Rather than changing wheels I would just turn your turn stops out a bit to prevent the tire from getting that close.

4.5" BS you'll be hammering metal at least. Maybe trimming. 3.75" for sure cutting.

·
Registered
215 Posts
So now that my 2 inch body lift and PML is complete, I need to order wheels and tires. I was originally going to put 33x12.5 on the X with stock rims which I believe are 5.5 inch back space. I test mounted one at a tire shop and found with the 5.5 backspace it rubs a bit when the wheel is at full turn on the bracket on the frame that protects the fuel lines.

I decided I want to get away from the stock wheel look and I am looking at 33x12.5 inch wranger duratracs and I want to mount them on 15 x 8 wheels with 4.5 inch back space. That should pull the wheels away from the frame a bit correct? Will 4.5 inch backspace require any metal trimming, im not worried about plastic. What about 3.75? Thanks for the help guys.
If I'm doing the math correctly, each 1" of backspace you give up is the equivalent of adding 2" to tire diameter in terms of the circumference of the arc described by the turning tire. You would think somebody would have created a chart showing how max tire diameter varies with backspacing, but I haven't seen one.

·
Administrator
2000 Xterra XE 4x4 3.3L AT
10,408 Posts
Yeah me either. I take it nobody has successfully ran this set up? It's hard to tell until you actually mount them.
I ran the setup you originally described and just turned out the steering stops and no trimming other than a bit on the plastic behind the front wheels. Remember you have to adjust out all four turn stops equally so count turns.

Later on my truck with 33x12.5x15 KM2's, on Crager Soft 8's with 4.75" BS, 2" BL, and 3" articulator SL I had to trim back more plastic and some sheet metal.

Not mine but nearly identical truck of Drakes cutting sheet metal with 33x12.5x15 KM2's, on Crager D windows with 4.75" BS, 2" BL, PML, and UCA's.

·
Administrator
2000 Xterra XE 4x4 3.3L AT
10,408 Posts
If I'm doing the math correctly, each 1" of backspace you give up is the equivalent of adding 2" to tire diameter in terms of the circumference of the arc described by the turning tire. You would think somebody would have created a chart showing how max tire diameter varies with backspacing, but I haven't seen one.
That's because the same set up does not always yield the same results on the same trucks. There are folks running my current setup who have not trimmed sheet metal and claim to be fine. Are they? I can't say, maybe they don't wheel, or wheel as hard, and are not flexing the truck as much so they don't hit the sheet metal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.