Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’m still a newbie, noticed this is a recurring issue for everyone’s x and thought I’d spread the love. Plastic restore is great til it wears off. So I bought a heat gun and went over all the trim. It took about an hour to get the results I wanted but well worth it. Only issue is that the door handles seemed to be painted or a different material so it didn’t work there. But as far as the bumper, door trim, back bumper guard and steps all look new

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
cool that somewone knows the old school trick of reflowing plastic to bring back the color. ive tought many chevy avalanche owners this to.

·
Registered
16 Posts
How long did it last though? Would using mothers back to black restorer brand work to make it last longer?

·
Registered
2006 Xterra SE 4X4
11 Posts
My understanding of the heat gun technic is it returns the plastic to an almost new state by bring the oils back to the surface that are inherent in the material. Thus even untreated you can expect it to last a very long time. Just like they don't fade on the initial purchase for years. Of course treating them afterwards would all but guarantee them to stay beautifully dark for years to come.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My understanding of the heat gun technic is it returns the plastic to an almost new state by bring the oils back to the surface that are inherent in the material. Thus even untreated you can expect it to last a very long time. Just like they don't fade on the initial purchase for years. Of course treating them afterwards would all but guarantee them to stay beautifully dark for years to come.
Appreciate it! Thank you

1 - 8 of 8 Posts