Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have experience in overlanding?
I need some ideas, and I assume that as the weather gets warmer, others will be interested in taking out their camping vehicles as well.
Anyone care to share some of their overland setups or camping ideas for their Xterras?
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Check out Expedition Portal. In the Nissan section you'll find a bunch of Xterra's setup for overland and camping.

I'm working on mine. I've had the RTT for almost as long as I had my Xterra and love the RTT and used it on the Xterra for several years, but it was a bit of an inconvenience to take it down every morning for some of the off-road trips, but as a single guy, it worked well.

But with the girlfriend, I figured out it was time to look into doing a trailer setup and the right truck for the project kind of fell in my lap at the right moment.

The awning is brand new of as a few weeks, and since I'm out of town for a few weeks, I dropped off the trailer to get some suspension work done (for safety reasons I didn't want to touch that) but was too anxious to test my awning that came in the week before I left, so I installed it on the Xterra so I could open it up. It had sides and a floor but I never got to open the box and test them out before I left.

·
Registered
87 Posts
You've gotta be kidding... that really is a truck bed as a trailer? Genius! That solves the issue of converting a trailer for off-road, huh? What's the dry weight and how does it tow?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yep, used a 2001 Frontier for it. Frame is custom (for safety for the tongue and to keep it straight and remove the drop where the forward leaf spring hangers are), but I kept the box, axle, spare tire setup, suspension and even fuel tank. It was an idea that came after getting and using the RTT where it would be nice to have a trailer with the RTT that was as off-road capable as the X so it could easily follow, which lead to, when why not make a trailer based on the X, in where in the X is based off the Frontier platform, and a pick up truck bed would make a great trailer.

I don't know the weight yet. It's far from finished, but I do want to give it a real weight in sometime soon this year, but I'm out of town for a few weeks and she's getting some professional welding done (stuff I don't feel comfortable doing) while I'm away. She tows great honestly, even though she doesn't have shocks (yet. part of the work that's getting done) but a little butt-heavy for the moment until I get a front storage box built, batteries, water tank, etc. She follows and tracks great, corners tight. I can take her trough drive-throughs. She takes and bumps with the same behavior as the Xterra, except she bounces a bit from the lack of shocks, but never bottoms out no matter how hard I try...cause I do want to properly test it. In the end, so far, she tows and acts exactly like I had imagined and planned/hoped she would. I just need to test it in a real off-road environnement, but in dirt roads and fiedls, no problem and I'm very pleased with it. But for the weight, it's a popular question, and I need to get it answered, heh

I've got a FB page to record and organize the build.
https://www.facebook.com/NissanFrontrailer/

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hmm, I'll post up a few update pictures on here, since many changes and activities happened over the summer. I do have a worklog on XN, and we did a 3200km trip out in Eastern Canada with the rig

·
Registered
858 Posts
Hmm, I'll post up a few update pictures on here, since many changes and activities happened over the summer. I do have a worklog on XN, and we did a 3200km trip out in Eastern Canada with the rig
That's super sweet. How's your gas mileage with that on? It does seem like it would bevery heavy. Do you have a full generator?

What did the whole thing cost?

·
Registered
858 Posts
Anyone have experience in overlanding?
I need some ideas, and I assume that as the weather gets warmer, others will be interested in taking out their camping vehicles as well.
Anyone care to share some of their overland setups or camping ideas for their Xterras?
Thanks in advance!
Here's how we roll

The 4-Season, All-Weather, Any-Condition, Any-Location, Off-Road XTent

There's a write-up in the DIY section

We load up the bed with our stuff, then put everything up front when we stop for the night. We have the roof rack in case we need someplace else to put things

We've never been away from a gas station or grocery store for more than a few days so we haven't had a need for any big propane or gas cargo. We're just always on the move it seems and haven't ever ran out of supplies or a place to resupply, otherwise that trailer would be awesome

·
Registered
103 Posts
Here's my 2004 xterra set up for overlanding. 3" Calmini suspension lift, full SLR steering upgrade plus moog TR's and AC HD TRA, eng-trans armored, Safari snorkel (it's dusty on the east side of WA state), Shrockworks front bumper with Smittybilt x2o 9k winch, 4x Treds on roof rack, ARB awning on roof rack with ARB room used as tent, Hardcore offroad rear tire carrier/bumper, WARN manual hubs, BFG KO2's 32x11.5r15's with cragar soft 8 wheels, samsonite roof bag for lightweight gear storage, 3.5'x3.5' cheapo plastic drawer. Plus a bunch else.

It's probably overkill for overlanding ... but I like my rig to be over-engineered.

More photos on the site:

https://pnwoverland.wordpress.com/

Attachments

·
Registered
336 Posts
Subbed

1 - 9 of 9 Posts