Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have any pointers or advice on removing passenger side post cat 02 sensor? It doesn't look like I can fit the 7/8" 02 socket. Will a Crow's foot work? Should I drop that section of exhaust?? Any advice is appreciated.

P.s. This is on a non super charged 2004 V6.

·
Registered
2015 Xterra Pro-4X
1,282 Posts
Does anybody have any pointers or advice on removing passenger side post cat 02 sensor? It doesn't look like I can fit the 7/8" 02 socket. Will a Crow's foot work? Should I drop that section of exhaust?? Any advice is appreciated.

P.s. This is on a non super charged 2004 V6.
Do you have any flare nut wrenches? Either a standard box end style wrench with the flare nut style end or a crows foot style with the flare nut cut out that will give you a good grab on the sensor.

·
Registered
2001 se 4x4 5spd 32"
224 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Xterra Pro-4X
1,282 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Nissan Xterra, 4x4 S/C
326 Posts
Bump. Also trying to figure this one out. The passenger rear sensor is in such a tight spot, kind brutal...

In case you DO decide to disconnect the rear catalytic converter to get to it... be careful with the 3 nuts on the studs connecting down downstream cat to the upstream cat, these are easy to snap and then you have a much bigger problem/job on your hands. Use heat (torch) to heat them, maybe spray down with penetrating oil a day or two before you get to the job. I would avoid trying to wrench on them from the side, use a socket instead with an extension. All 3 bolts you can get to with long enough extensions... the top nut is the most annoying, ended up using a loooong extension with a swivel head attachment:

Here is a pic of the orientation:

Also, to remove the cat you'll need to unbolt the cross-member, no way to wiggle it out otherwise! Just 2 bolts under the transmission and 2 bolts on either side of the frame. Kind of brutal, wondering if the Nissan O2 sensor tool has a specific size/angle to the offset that would enable it to fit... who knows. If anyone got this to work, please post!!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Oh man, what a pain. Finally got the drive-side rear o2 sensor out. Trying to use an O2 socket didn't work, started blowing out and stripping the sensor nut so had to rethink my strategy.

Ended up disconnecting the sensor wire, then removing the wires from the sensor plug using a weatherpak connector tool so that I could get a closed box-end of a 22mm wrench over the wire. Was able to just fit it on the sensor from underneath the truck, then did the 2 wrench bigger-lever trick. After some hitting it with a hammer to 'vibrate' the rust-lock and then some sweating it finally popped. Brutal.

I even considered removing the catalytic converter first and then wrestling with the sensor once it's off the truck, but you can't even do that b/c the sensor blocks access to one of the studs/nuts which attach the downstream cat to the upstream cat...

·
Registered
326 Posts
I also use this method but the tool I use to remove the connector on the old sensor is a lot sharper
What did you use to remove the rear-right sensor if you did it? That one is even tighter! I was replacing a rusted out Cat anyway, so just pulled the entire cat with sensor still attached on that side... but just so I know for next time!

·
Registered
03 XE A/T, SC coming soon
1,441 Posts
I don’t remember which tool I used. I installed the sensors a year or so ago. I may have removed at least half of the driveshaft to make clearance and on the other side I may have removed the tube to make it easy. Mine came apart easy because I installed new exhaust manifolds and cats then did sensors a few days later

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bump. Also trying to figure this one out. The passenger rear sensor is in such a tight spot, kind brutal...

In case you DO decide to disconnect the rear catalytic converter to get to it... be careful with the 3 nuts on the studs connecting down downstream cat to the upstream cat, these are easy to snap and then you have a much bigger problem/job on your hands. Use heat (torch) to heat them, maybe spray down with penetrating oil a day or two before you get to the job. I would avoid trying to wrench on them from the side, use a socket instead with an extension. All 3 bolts you can get to with long enough extensions... the top nut is the most annoying, ended up using a loooong extension with a swivel head attachment:

Here is a pic of the orientation:
View attachment 78255

Also, to remove the cat you'll need to unbolt the cross-member, no way to wiggle it out otherwise! Just 2 bolts under the transmission and 2 bolts on either side of the frame. Kind of brutal, wondering if the Nissan O2 sensor tool has a specific size/angle to the offset that would enable it to fit... who knows. If anyone got this to work, please post!!
Did you actually get it out this way? You cannot rotate it enough with the cross member in place.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I replaced all 4 O2 sensors on my 2000 X and I don't remember it being so tough to get access. I believe for the passenger side I removed the tire and the black plastic inner fender liner. If you're replacing the sensor, cut the old wire and use either a box end wrench or a regular 7/8 deep socket. I'll double check tonight on getting access.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts