Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone replaced their control arms? Any suggestions as far as parts I should go with? I have seen a lot of cheap aftermarket ones..

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ummm...anyone? I can get some used OEM ones from ebay, but then I'm unsure if the ball joints/bushings are any good. I can put polyurethane in the bushings I guess..
Should I just get some cheapo arms and run them til the ball joint fail, then press in moog ball joints? Or is the oem steel better than the asftermarket arms?

·
Registered
191 Posts
If you have a lift, now would be a great time to put upgraded uppers on. There’s a couple places that offer them. For lowers, I’d try to get quality aftermarket or OE if they still exist. I’d also consider putting nice torsion bars and possibly some bilsteins up there just for maximum effect.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Also, one of the bushings on the lower actually installs into the frame on the first gen. I know those are still available from nissan. I did a pair a few months back.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok thank you Blackberry!
I only use floor jacks, is this what you meant by a lift? Or do I need a four-point lift to do it correctly?
I will focus my attention on 'quality' aftermarket lowers, or the used oem lowers hopefully with the bolts included.
I have bilstein all around.
Looking at the FSM under suspension, all it seems to illustrate is the bushing is pressed into the lower arm, not the chassis. What am I not seeing here?
Lastly, are there any links to these upgraded upper lcas, and the torsion bars?

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
ok thank you Blackberry!
I only use floor jacks, is this what you meant by a lift? Or do I need a four-point lift to do it correctly?
I will focus my attention on 'quality' aftermarket lowers, or the used oem lowers hopefully with the bolts included.
I have bilstein all around.
Looking at the FSM under suspension, all it seems to illustrate is the bushing is pressed into the lower arm, not the chassis. What am I not seeing here?
Lastly, are there any links to these upgraded upper lcas, and the torsion bars?
he means a lifted suspension as lifting adds strain. moog makes great suspension and bearing parts theya re my go to ftermarket brand and ones i would suggest

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
kms1990 Yep moog is great imho at least the ball joints should be moog, would they fit into aftermarket conntrol arms I wonder...Seen some pretty cheapo no name uca+lca on fleebay. I'd like to keep everything around 300 if possible.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I didn't think of that as in Lifted suspension sheesh I'm out of it today. I'm a bit nervous about it all since this will be my first torsion bar control arm replacement. Index and all of that is new to me.

·
Brooklyn br0
3,087 Posts
I've seen cheap LCA bend after a month and would therefore only use a genuine nissan OEM part for this. IMHO a used genuine nissan OEM part is better than a new chinese one...

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
kms1990 Yep moog is great imho at least the ball joints should be moog, would they fit into aftermarket conntrol arms I wonder...Seen some pretty cheapo no name uca+lca on fleebay. I'd like to keep everything around 300 if possible.
they should, all the ball joint mounting should be same

·
Registered
416 Posts
I replaced to UCA's for lifts, I think AC ones that use '95 pathfinder upper ball joints. Still run the factory lower arms. They're pretty heavy duty.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Racerxxl -thank you!! Yea I think I got an idler arm brace from this company. Still need to install but first need the idler arm bushing size so I can tighten the steering up a little. I would go with bandit 4x4 but kinda pricey for me at the moment I'm unemployed for over two months.
KMS1990-Thanks I'll look into it I'm not gonna lift her...but wouldn't mind widening her a bit though! 1-2" might be good.
So I think I'm gonna get some used oem arms with light or no rust with hopefully decent bushings, and if the oem balljoints are wack, then press in some moog replacements.
I'm currently on a welded passsenger uca. I was replacing the front pads a few weeks ago, and saw that it was cracked around the balljoint. So welded it up best I could.
Thus the sudden interest in the front arms. When the apocalypse hits, can't be rolling on shifty parts.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
mhamor-Yea I'm pretty pleased with it so far.
yep ivbe liked both my 1st and 2nd gen x's 2nd gen has been one of the best vehicles i have ever had

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Only gripe is bad mpg, and low power of the 3.3. It's there, I just have to really get on it...Also it seems to shift kinda high 3k+rpm. maybe a trans flush is in order. I still need to get more exhaust pieces, replace o2 sensors with those cheap universal ones, and hopefully that will help with the low power, poor mpg issue.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts