Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my build thread I mentioned I broke the shock mount off of the passenger side LCA. Here, have a look:

It was a sad day, to be sure. Luckily for me, I have a friend with a trailer!

So the truck is now sitting in front of my apartment where I have it all taken apart.

I've seen a few threads on replacing the lower control arm, all of which say that the rear bolt is a complete pain to remove. So when I saw it was stuck and the BFH wouldn't budge it, out came the sawzall.

So the bolt is removed, and I torched away the innards of the bushing, but the outer cylinder of the bushing is, like really stuck.

I got a hacksaw blade in there and put a notch in it, still doesn't budge. I have a 1 3/16" socket that is a perfect fit to knock it out, but the thing doesn't budge no matter how much and how hard I hit it. I've tried heating with a propane torch, cooling, pretty much everything I have on hand. I got a cold chisel and started at it, but it was chewing up the frame as much as it was the bushing so I stopped.

I guess I'm looking for advice and moral support - I've got a friend with an air hammer coming over some night this week I hope, but if there's anything else I can do in the meantime I'm all ears!

·
Registered
997 Posts
do you have the new bolt on order? good luck..... here in Chicago mine is rusted on tight...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
do you have the new bolt on order? good luck..... here in Chicago mine is rusted on tight...
Man, there's not enough PB blaster in the world for this thing. I can't imagine what it's like in a state where they salt the roads...

And yes, I've got a new bolt, bushing, control arm ready and waiting as soon as I can pop the old bushing out. I'm even replacing the sway bar bushings while I'm down there.

I just hope the air hammer works!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, progress. I got a couple of cold chisels and went to town on the bushing. What I wouldn't give for air tools...

After several hours of chiseling with the BFH, the little sucker finally gave up and popped out.

And the new one pressed in pretty well with a giant c-clamp and socket after removing the burrs with a metal file and brush.

All went well after that.

I got a new LCA from NAPA. It's Chinese-made, but almost a third the cost of the OE Nissan replacement, so the price was right I guess. I hope it holds up...

That said, while I had the front end up I replaced the sway arm bushings as well. Looking at the driver side LCA - it's got the SAME ISSUE. The shock mount is starting to give up:

Think I can weld that shut? I do NOT want to spend another weekend (okay, two...) with a sawsall and chisel!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Sure you can weld it. Just remember every time you heat it up it weakens the substrate. I would go ahead and do it the right way and replace it. A little more strife and trouble, but at least it will be done right, and you wont have a failure in the trails! FYI PB blast that bitch NOW and every day until you do the repair.

·
Registered
2004 Nissan Xterra, 4x4 S/C
292 Posts
Oh man, I have the same issue. Both the driver side and passenger side shock mounts have good sized cracks around them... I wonder if this is a design failure or something to do with extra stress from the lift?

@stilldavid looking at the UCA in your pics, looks like you have the 3" suspension lift with aftermarket UCAs and Moog ball joints. Did your LCAs hold up after you replaced them??

Considering how annoying this job is, I'm thinking that I'll probably get the Nissan OEM LCAs, would hate for the new chinese ones to fail and have to do this all over again...

·
Administrator
2000 Xterra XE 4x4 3.3L AT
9,631 Posts
Oh man, I have the same issue. Both the driver side and passenger side shock mounts have good sized cracks around them... I wonder if this is a design failure or something to do with extra stress from the lift?

@stilldavid

Considering how annoying this job is, I'm thinking that I'll probably get the Nissan OEM LCAs, would hate for the new chinese ones to fail and have to do this all over again...
Same issues, same thoughts.

·
Registered
2004 Nissan Xterra, 4x4 S/C
292 Posts
Looks like things went from concerning to failed very quickly for me...

Hanging on by a thread... just the back welds, ugh.

With the crack running down the LCA I don't think welding this back is really an option :|

Looks like I'm replacing LCAs, which I hear is a nightmare. Anyone have any advice, I started spraying the LCA nuts with penetrating oil, figured I'd do that daily for a week and hopefully it creeps in there??

Ugh.

·
Administrator
2000 Xterra XE 4x4 3.3L AT
9,631 Posts
It’s a known failure point all of them will do it at some point, wheeling them just accelerates the process.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts