Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,
New to the group and looking for some help. I have a 2004, 3.3L non-supercharged Xterra. At about 200k miles, the motor died, so I purchased a used motor with 85K miles on it from a reputable distributor that gets the motors from Japan. I had to swap all of my components and brackets, and now have the motor in the truck. after reconnecting everything and adding fluids, I was able to get the motor to crank over and eventually it started, YAY. It ran, fairly smoothly, for about 15 seconds and died. Now, I cant get it to start at all. Where ever I could, I replaced old parts with new ones. Knock sensor, cap, rotor, wires and plugs are all new. I know it is not a fuel issue because I cant get it to fire when I spray starting fluid in the intake. I have no spark and ran through with a meter checking all the points I could. What I found was the the coil was not getting signal to tell it when to fire. I'm thinking at that time, the Camshaft Position Sensor is bad based on the instructions I followed for the testing. SO, I ordered a new distributor and installed that today. Still same conditions. Engine turns over freely, except that now I see a spark when I turn the key on and when I turn the key off. This is more than I had with the previous distributor. I have checked all fuses in the engine and drivers compartment and they are all good. Don't know what to do next. Any and all help is appreciated.

·
Registered
03 XE A/T, SC coming soon
1,226 Posts
Are you sure the distributor is installed correctly and that the timing belt hasn’t skipped?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you sure the distributor is installed correctly and that the timing belt hasn’t skipped?
I installed a new timing belt and tensioner. I can’t rule that out though as I haven’t pulled the belt cover yet. I’m 99.9% positive the distributor is installed properly, but going to reset to TDC to verify.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The other symptom I am getting, is when I connect my OBD2 scanner to check codes, the reader powers up, but it reads “no link”. This leads me to believe that my ecm is shot. Anyone else ever experience this?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts